Will you upgrade to Windows 10? (1 Viewer)

Will you upgrade to Windows 10

• Total voters

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:42
Are batch file (.bat) supported in Windows 10?

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 21:42
What has this feature suppose to have done?
It rotates the screen view - up arrow is 'normal', down arrow is upside down, left and right to left and right respectively.

The last two are useful if you have rotated a screen to portrait. Can also do it through the control panel (or right click on desktop, choose personalise and navigate to display).

Attached is how my screens are set up at the moment

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 129

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 17:42
It rotates the screen view - up arrow is 'normal', down arrow is upside down, left and right to left and right respectively.

The last two are useful if you have rotated a screen to portrait. Can also do it through the control panel (or right click on desktop, choose personalise and navigate to display).

Attached is how my screens are set up at the moment
thanks for the info. I have rotated images before by draging the handles, but never heard of doing it using the arrows. Never had the desk top need rotating either. Still a mystery then, if its a quirk of Win 10.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
FYI: I heard that there was a security risk with Windows 10. Apparently Windows 10 will broadcast wireless password unless you turn an option off (I did not read the article completely).

I have not heard that one but I suspect you are talking about Wifi Sense.

It sends your Wifi password to Microsoft then shares it with your contacts computers (all the while encrypted) if you set it up to do so. Your contacts then are automatically connected to your network whenever they are in range.

There is a setting to include Facebook and Outlook contacts so it can be a huge security hole but this default is off.

Certainly make sure you understand how it works.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I have not heard that one but I suspect you are talking about Wifi Sense.

It sends your Wifi password to Microsoft then shares it with your contacts computers (all the while encrypted) if you set it up to do so. Your contacts then are automatically connected to your network whenever they are in range.

There is a setting to include Facebook and Outlook contacts so it can be a huge security hole but this default is off.

Certainly make sure you understand how it works.

No not WiFi Sense. My desk top. All my icons on my desk top rotated 45 degrees. The top row of icons moved so that they were across the left side of the screen, and the bottom row of icons were now across the right side of the screen.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No not WiFi Sense. My desk top.

Note I was responding to the message that I quoted. Also be aware of the original subject from before you hijacked the thread with your screen orientation lament.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 15:42
I am not keeping up with all of the Window 10 Version release.
Saw something about the Windows 10 Enterprise being released either this week or next week.
One Microsoft Chart with the Windows 10 HOME, PRO, ENTERPRISE had the same checkboxes in all versions. I would have thought ENTERPRISE would have let me run things like the full-blown SQL Server or other VM?

For a small business / Developer would ENTERPRISE be worth the wait / money?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Note I was responding to the message that I quoted. Also be aware of the original subject from before you hijacked the thread with your screen orientation lament.

I thought that is what my post was about. Win 10

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Saw the technology News Alert - the first major patch for Windows 10 - last night. That may be old news by now, but worth mention.
Glad I waited. Maybe afer two more major patches?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Saw the technology News Alert - the first major patch for Windows 10 - last night. That may be old news by now, but worth mention.
Glad I waited. Maybe afer two more major patches?

you have to wonder was is going on with Microsoft!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Why are people surprised that there are patches? Windows is a huge piece of software interfacing with many variations of hardware and apps.
We used to say back in the 1960s when I first started that we could test for months only for the young girls in the office to break the program in minutes, it is the obscure incidents they dream up that cause the problems.

I think a forum member had a signature saying something like " you can design a better system but it will be beaten by a better class of idiot" .

Waiting until others have tried the software is always a good idea but won't guarantee no problems.

Brian

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
Someone's got to be first adopters of new software.

But I am slightly surprised that Microsoft developers should be amongst the very first. I'd be waiting for a while for others to have the headaches and wait for fixes - and post fixes online, before I jumped into the latest windows.

What's been the consensus here?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
I generally make it a point not to upgrade until SP1 comes out. That's when they've generally hammered out the worst of the bugs, and by that point most 3rd party providers have gotten around to updating software and drivers.

wiklendt

i recommend chocolate
Local time
I've now upgraded to win10. It's a bit like the difference between 8 and 8.1 in terms of visuals. As for functionality, 'windows update' has taken a massive back-step. First, it's not possible to choose which updates are installed. Second, you are no longer told how big each update is in MB/GB. The only way to stop downloads is to either flag your net connection as 'metered', or (in editions other than 'home') 'defer' updates. This only means eventually it'll all b installed anyway, but I only get 10gb bandwidth per month for all my connectivity needs - I can't go with knowing how big each update is!!

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Well, after my eight year old computer died Thursday, I ended up having to change my plans. Got a new one, and as it unfortunately had that abortion Windows 8 on it, I did the upgrade to 10.

I'm fairly impressed, although more than a little annoyed in that you don't really have control over Windows Update any more (see wiklendt's post above). Also, apparently McAffee doesn't play well with Windows 10. It was pre-installed on my machine, and after it updated, the machine needed a restart. I decided what the hell and rebooted, and Windows could no longer start.

On the bright side, that was when I discovered the built-in 'Revert' settings. It basically re-installed Win10 from a partition, using factory presets. It meant I needed to once again re-install MalwareBytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Chrome, Steam, Office, and quite a few drivers, but it was awfully nice to have as an option. It also gave me the option of keeping my saved files or wiping everything. As a bonus, all the bloatware that came pre-installed by the manufacturer was gone, too. Gotta give MS kudos for that.

Interface-wise, it's a nice compromise between 7 and 8. You default to a standard desktop, but the Start Menu uses a 7/8 hybrid layout. It has a traditional start menu on the left for the most commonly-used things, and a Win8 style collection of oversized buttons for popular categories of stuff on the right.

I've not run into any incompatibilities yet, but I'm sure that'll happen.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Fact: I am not surprised
News release 8/17/2015 - new Windows 10 Patch/update available.

I really want to thank everyone who is sharing the Windows 10 Experience.
After finishing a few milestones on my home Windows 8.1 workstation, I am ready to take the plunge soon.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Interface-wise, it's a nice compromise between 7 and 8. You default to a standard desktop, but the Start Menu uses a 7/8 hybrid layout. It has a traditional start menu on the left for the most commonly-used things, and a Win8 style collection of oversized buttons for popular categories of stuff on the right.

I never had 7 going straight from XP to 8 when I had to buy a new laptop, then to 8.1 . I never see the start screen as I boot to the desktop and have had no complaints about 8.1 , but to be fair these days I don't do much, some say I never did.

Having spent a couple of years at school learning to read I hate the icons approach, oh I understand why it is done , but give me proper me lists any day.

I've downloaded 10 but not installed yet, far too busy doing nothing.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Honestly, I liked 7 a lot. My exposure to 8 was mostly teaching my dad to use a computer (got his first one at 65), and with that god-awful pre-8.1 start menu, it was complex enough that he had real trouble using anything. He even noted, watching me work on my PC and Win7, that 7 just made a lot more sense.

Good thing MS realized that and reverted a bit with 8.1 and a lot in 10.

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Anyone saying you never did much must not have been on the access-programmers site! Over 12,000 post say they are wrong.

I had to laugh at your statement "spent a couple of years at school learning to read .." related to the pointing to icons (images).
One of my favorite writers A. Whitney Brown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._Whitney_Brown
had a great comment on that back in the last centruy. He won an Emmy and was a writer for many well known stars. He was best known on Saturday Night Live news "The Big Picture".
Much like the ancient artifact writer Will Rodgers, he just made comic comments about the newspapers and trends.

One of his stories was about how USA High School Graduates spend all this money for a graduation celebration. How the USA Public Education High School had a food chain "Denneys" https://www.dennys.com/food/ sponsored as the "official High School Celebration Dinner" choice. This was because the Public School Highschool graduates could "point to the menu items". This went on to strongly imply that they could not actually "read" a menu.
He went on to explain that these same graduates could work at the new fast-food chains where the cash registers had begun to put Icons on the register so Highschool graduates could operate them.
Some of these Highschool graduates would join the military. He described the situation of them being shipped to the Mid-East to a place none of them could possibly point out on a global map. They were assigned to set up a Smart-Bomb that knew more geography than the entire military unit that had no clue where they were physically located. Given the orders to fire the Smart Bomb, they would then turn on CNN Live to see where thier bomb hit.

Apologies to those of you 30 and under for this Dennis Miller style rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom