Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:09
Col,

Yes - I was being more than slightly tongue-in-cheek in my comments about the level of firepower in that initial paragraph. The other folks here got the message quickly. Perhaps you weren't so sure because of your prejudices regarding U.S. Americans? If so, then you just "outed" yourself.

I have one comment about the dentist on vacation who shot a "beloved lion." He had guides with him who should have warned him that the lion was "beloved." Further, if the lion was THAT much loved, why was it allowed to roam in an area where people could shoot it? I believe that there was a bit of stupidity on someone's part - and not the dentist's part, either.

Mass killings have occurred, usually as the result of disaffected or radicalized youth - though not all cases can be so attributed.

Corruption in U.S. Government? Oh, HELL yes. Show me one government that doesn't have some form of corruption somewhere and I'll move there. (Hint: The only intolerable place you could name would be the Vatican, and I've recently seen headlines about corruption there, too.)

Gun-loving Christians who would just as soon shoot a burglar as convert him? True. Also true are gun-loving Jews, gun-loving Muslims, gun-loving atheists, gun-loving feminists, gun-loving gays, gun-loving gay-bashers, ... I believe the error is in attributing gun-loving and a specific religious or socio-economic grouping.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:09
Perfect response from AB and FrothyWhatshisname, so boring and predictable.

Still, at least we know now that the next mass killing in America won't be reality despite what the BBC says.

Oh Scott, you can keep the car, the bank refunded all losses.

Col
My response is, what ever Doc just said.....

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
....In fact, only last week my debit card was scammed whilst getting money out of an ATM in London, and by next morning £1400 had been removed from my bank account.
Just out of curiosity did your bank refund your money without delay or hassle? Approximately $2,100 US.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 10:09
Just out of curiosity did your bank refund your money without delay or hassle? Approximately $2,100 US.

Yes, what happened was that I tried to take out money but the atm didn't give me it nor returned my card. The money I tried to get out was debited and recredited to my account.

The next morning at 9am I went to a branch in Oxford street and they could see that any transactions after that were false or fraud. They rang the fraud department and all was refunded by 10am. Excellent service from the Halifax bank.

Col

KpAtch3s

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:10
Gun laws are stupid. You can order parts to an AK47 and piece it together completely unregistered and drill one hole to make it entirely automatic all for around 400 bucks.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 10:10
Gun laws are stupid. You can order parts to an AK47 and piece it together completely unregistered and drill one hole to make it entirely automatic all for around 400 bucks.
But if you are in possession of this weapon woudn't you be breaking the law.

It does seem a little bizarre that at a time when governments are trying to clamp down on terrorists they allow people to carry lethal weapons. Surely some control is needed

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Today, 06:10
Gun control in the US is not "You can't have guns."

Gun control in the US is, rather, "You need a license so we know you know basic rights, laws, and safety", "You need to wait a week after ordering your firearm", "You can carry openly in most places, but to carry concealed will require a special permit and you can't carry at all in certain locations", and "Crazy people, incompetent people, and convicted felons don't get to have guns". Oh, and "No, you can NOT have an M-60 or any other automatic or burst-fire weapon."

Some states and cities actually go more strict (don't bring a pistol into Chicago or you're going to hate life if you get caught), and some are more lenient (*cough*Texas*cough*), but those work as general guidelines.

Terrorists, as a rule, are looking for things with more boom to them. They want mass deaths, not a few people shot. They're why fertilizer, for example, is obsessively tracked and regulated. Virtually all actual acts of terrorism here have been with methods of killing lots of people at once; people who go on shooting sprees are more likely to be regular old nutcases and people 'snapping' than terrorists.

(Interesting factoid: The Columbine shooters actually placed a number of bombs, but none of them went off. Of the school killings I can think of offhand, only that one and the Bath, Michigan incident might qualify as terrorism, and the Bath one was less terror and more VENGEANCE UPON THEE.)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Gun control in the US is not "You can't have guns."

Gun control in the US is, rather, "You need a license so we know you know basic rights, laws, and safety", "You need to wait a week after ordering your firearm", "You can carry openly in most places, but to carry concealed will require a special permit and you can't carry at all in certain locations", and "Crazy people, incompetent people, and convicted felons don't get to have guns". Oh, and "No, you can NOT have an M-60 or any other automatic or burst-fire weapon."
One of the better summations. I realize a bit tongue and cheek, but accurate.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
IRONIC: I am in Elk City, OK. I just left a local restaurant and they had a wide screen TV with local ads on it. One of them was for one of the biggest gun stores I have ever seen. I am just passing thru., so I won't have time to visit.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
IRONIC: I am in Elk City, OK. I just left a local restaurant and they had a wide screen TV with local ads on it. One of them was for one of the biggest gun stores I have ever seen. I am just passing thru., so I won't have time to visit.

If you ever wind up in Michigan again (and my condolences if you do), there's a monthly flea market in Clarkston that could double as aa National Guard armory. Here in Flint, we also have Williams Gun Sight, which is apparently a nationally-renowned firearms dealer and modification shop.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
If you ever wind up in Michigan again (and my condolences if you do), there's a monthly flea market in Clarkston that could double as aa National Guard armory. Here in Flint, we also have Williams Gun Sight, which is apparently a nationally-renowned firearms dealer and modification shop.

Another coincidence. I was just asked to do a fair in Michigan, but I am already committed to Jackson, MS for those dates.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Any merit in this? I would guess its not far off what most of the developed world thinks.

http://www.theage.com.au/business/c...ralia-is-not-like-the-us-20151002-gjztja.html

A good read, I wouldn't personally say that America is a immature society at all, I would also say the writer of this article is generalising the US too much.

Personally I would agree than much tighter gun control is needed, But it may prove harder to enforce now that there are so many guns in civilian possession. Be it legal / Illegal.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time
A good read, I wouldn't personally say that America is a immature society at all, I would also say the writer of this article is generalising the US too much.

Personally I would agree than much tighter gun control is needed, But it may prove harder to enforce now that there are so many guns in civilian possession. Be it legal / Illegal.

Yes the favouring possession over life, doesn't seem to have any evidence behind it , just a stab in the dark.

Maybe too many people relying on 2k old book and 2C old constitutions , was what he meant by immature.

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Yes the favouring possession over life, doesn't seem to have any evidence behind it , just a stab in the dark.

Maybe too many people relying on 2k old book and 2C old constitutions , was what he meant by immature.

Definitely agree that america needs a revamp on the old book and constitutions, Wouldn't call that immature though :confused:.

Just Outdated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom