Gun laws do they work (2 Viewers)

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 05:54
If you can't understand a common phrase, perhaps you should get out more.

In other words you don't care to expound on your flippant gun nut comments which is understandable, I've been in your shoes before...

Edit: I just wasn't sure if I qualified as a gun nut by your definition, I do own guns :eek:

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
In other words you don't care to expound on your flippant gun nut comments which is understandable, I've been in your shoes before...

Edit: I just wasn't sure if I qualified as a gun nut by your definition, I do own guns :eek:

Nah, go back and read the thread. Some of the regular contributers here have actually stated their belief, several times, that there is a vast liberal conspiracy planning on a) taking everyone's guns, and then b) overthrowing the government of the US in order to place (insert scary Muslim organization here) in charge. They've stated this several times.

So my comment was not as outlandish as it may have appeared to a newcomer, even if I did indulge in a little rhetoric in order to mock them a bit.

KenHigg

Local time
Do you have any guns?

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
Do you have any guns?

I personally do not, but my father was a cop, and I grew up in a house full of them, and was trained in shooting them and in gun safety when I was, what, i think 14. I'm actually the only person in my family without any - not out of any deep-seated objection, but rather because I don't hunt, I've never been interested in target shooting, and I never felt the need for one for self defense. (And I could never justify spending several hundred dollars for something I would likely never, ever use.) I have no objection to guns or people owning them, let me make that clear.

I do, however, have a small sword collection! :p

ConnorGiles

Strange Traveller
Local time
Today, 10:54
I personally do not, but my father was a cop, and I grew up in a house full of them. I'm actually the only person in my family without any - not out of any deep-seated objection, but rather because I don't hunt, I've never been interested in target shooting, and I never felt the need for one for self defense. (And I could never justify spending several hundred dollars for something I would likely never, ever use.) I have no objection to guns or people owning them, let me make that clear.

Live by the sword... :cool:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
In my way of thinking that is convoluted logic. “If one less death is an improvement.” Yes one less death is a wonderful thing, especially if it’s your child. “But at what price?” The price, (1) taking away my right of having a gun that I am now allowed under the laws of the Constitution. (2.) Making me lest safe as I go about my business. (3) Making me more vulnerable to a domestic government takeover. (4) Making me more vulnerable to a foreign government takeover. (5) Giving thugs an advantage over the rest of us. (6) No statics so far than gun laws work in THE USA. I apologize for raising my voice.
Using your logic we should ban automobiles, look at the millions of death we would prevent without automobiles. The price, of course, would be too high. I don’t have the figures available right now, but I remember reading that there are more accidental deaths with bicycles than accidental death from guns. Very few people are, if any, are trying to ban bicycles. “The old saying is it depends whose ox is being gored”. With your logic let’s ban boats. I don’t have a boat, look at the deaths we could prevent. Hey, my friends did not put his kid in a life vest. Let’s ban anything I don’t have a use for.

Ken you asked what is a gun nut, well a gun nut believes his right to own a gun trumps everything even saving the death of a child. If you don't believe me read the quote above.

I've argued with you over a few things down the years, and i don't think you qualify as a gun nut.

Brian

KenHigg

Local time
I personally do not, but my father was a cop, and I grew up in a house full of them, and was trained in shooting them and in gun safety when I was, what, i think 14. I'm actually the only person in my family without any - not out of any deep-seated objection, but rather because I don't hunt, I've never been interested in target shooting, and I never felt the need for one for self defense. (And I could never justify spending several hundred dollars for something I would likely never, ever use.) I have no objection to guns or people owning them, let me make that clear.

You seem a reasonable sort. I have a couple hunting rifles but thats it. Along with a .22 that I shoot crows with in the backyard:)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
You seem a reasonable sort. I have a couple hunting rifles but thats it. Along with a .22 that I shoot crows with in the backyard:)

Heh

When I was sixteen or so, I was visiting a friend and we were shooting jugs on posts in his back yard when a crow landed on one of the posts we had just cleared.

Let's just say that I still chuckle over the memory of that crow vanishing in an explosion of feathers when my friend took his shotgun to it.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

What harm do crows do? Now I have a couple of visiting cats I would like to shoot those poo spreaders, but even if I had a gun it would be no use as with my eyesight I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was inside it.

Brian

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
What harm do crows do? Now I have a couple of visiting cats I would like to shoot those poo spreaders, but even if I had a gun it would be no use as with my eyesight I couldn't hit the side of a barn if I was inside it.

Brian

They drive out most of the other birds in the area. My dad was always complaining that the crows drove away all the jays and cardials and other birds he liked to watch.

KenHigg

Local time
Crows are really smart. My brother in law says you can call them in :D

They eat stuff from the garden, so my mother in law say's it's ok to shoot 'em :)

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
To be fair, I won all but one of them in card tournaments. I used to play a card game where mid-range and large tournaments often offered katanas as prizes, and I was rather good at it.

Frothingslosh

Premier Pale Stale Ale
Local time
lol I wouldn't know the first thing about hitting someone with them. :D Just won a few decent-sized L5R tournaments.

KenHigg

Local time
Me either. My guess is to start by trying to hit 'em with the pointed end :)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
To be fair, it's Blade more than you that is but could you please explain to me how reducing accidental deaths via safer storage and being more careful can be a bad thing? I also wouldn't be opposed to Law enforced checks to see if the weapon is legal or not. (Taking the guns away from the bad guys).
I like you post, especially that part about Blade:D
Just kidding Blade.

Well sure, I want safe storage of guns. I have the ones not with me locked up. I want background checks. I have a CWP. I had a background check. I have nothing to hide, and maybe it would, and that's a big MAYBE, keep some insane asylum alumni with a recent frontal lobotomy from at least legally owning a gun. Here is the kicker. Some one with the desire as their ultimate goal of disarming the opposition of all guns writes a bill "saying all guns must be stored in a lock secured place, to protect our dear poor little innocent children from accidental death. Now who in there right mind doesn't want their, " poor little innocent children"protected. Now 14 paragraphs down we find that, "OH! BY THE WAY" so that we can make sure that all guns are secure to protect our "poor little innocent children" and believe me " poor little innocent children" is not in there by accident. It now states, You must list every gun you own, how many clips you have for each gun, how much ammo you have for each gun, what gun club you belong to, do you belong to the NRA and the list goes on and on. Now "not last and not least" I would never, never accused our dear, dear politicians of being a front for companies. {republican and democrats alike}, 18 paragraphs down we find ONLY [Gun Safes] made by xyz company are approved for the safe storage of guns. I speak not by "Hear Say" I was a politician..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom