Gun laws do they work (2 Viewers)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 02:15
Don't you ever stick to the subject?
What the hell as the Boston bombing got to do with a knife fight?
I suppose it's that old tactic of if you can't answer the question asked ignore it and change the subject.

Brian

Brian,
Evidently we are on two completely different thought process. Of course pressure cooker bombs are not the same as knife fights. I am not talking about knife fights, or gun fights, or fight, fights. I am talking about choice of weapons. If people are dead, people are dead. It's the root cause, not the choice of weapons. (Now I know not everybody on this forum is advocating completely outlawing all guns, so please don't anybody tact to the wind).

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 06:15
Yes choice of weapons, when first raised by you , post2394 , we had only mentioned guns and knives as used in the fight we were discussing, only when I mentioned innocents caught in crossfire did you decide to bring up bombs, amazed you did not fly in a 747, there pretty useful for causing innocent deaths.

I promised myself not to debate with you as you always ignore the real issue, I let myself down yesterday.

I will let you get back to preaching to those who don't argue.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
BTW My original post was a bit of a joke, starting off pro gun carry and ending antigun in just one sentence, I think Blade had the correct response, but non obvious humour passes most people by.

Brian

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Yes choice of weapons, when first raised by you , post2394 , we had only mentioned guns and knives as used in the fight we were discussing, only when I mentioned innocents caught in crossfire did you decide to bring up bombs, amazed you did not fly in a 747, there pretty useful for causing innocent deaths.

I promised myself not to debate with you as you always ignore the real issue, I let myself down yesterday.

I will let you get back to preaching to those who don't argue.

Brian

That is funny. From my points of view that is what you do, ignore the root. It's not guns, it's culture, oh! did I forget to mention liberty, oh! my how did I let you get me off track. On the other hand I enjoy a debate with you, as you don't digress to name calling.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
That is funny. From my points of view that is what you do, ignore the root. It's not guns, it's culture, oh! did I forget to mention liberty, oh! my how did I let you get me off track. On the other hand I enjoy a debate with you, as you don't digress to name calling.

Brian,
I am sitting here in a restaurant in a city that is relatively peacefully compare to Baltimore, Maryland, having my second cup of coffee. After posting the above answer I went to a blog and realized that you were right, (I didn't say that), you see it is part of our culture, yours and mine. You see guns as a separate issue, and in a sense you are right. (I didn't say that) If you will kindley read the following link http://www.redstate.com/2015/05/19/liberalism-lethal-baltimore-proves/ , you will see what I am fighting, and all the gun controls in the world is not going to make a difference. My offer still goes, come to FL and I will treat you to the best Chinese buffet in the whole United States and Texas.
Ps. If you do please stand by the mail box, reach inside you will find a little white flag. Wave it vigorously. <G>

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Dick
I've read it , why do they keep getting voted in if they are so bad, I must be missing something, are they buying votes via benefits as our left try to do?

You are correct that we were on different wave lengths, I was merely commenting on a particular incident, actually as I have said in my last post I was trying to make a jokey point but failed.

Also if you were a miracle man and remembered my posts in this thread you would know that I recognise that you have a cultural thing about guns. The genie is out of the bottle and you will not get it back in.
I have stated in the past that if I lived in the US I too would like to have a gun under my pillow, not locked in a cabinet separate from the bullets, what a load of bullshit that is, a gun not ready to use is no defence at all.

also I like walking, the only thing I have to worry about over here are dogs, my trekking poles take care of that, but i believe over there the animals I am likely to come across are bigger and wilder. I would need advice.

None of the above means that I don't believe that something needs to be attempted to improve gun control.

Brian

PS. Unfortunately since the lose of my wife and the deterioration in my eyesight it is unlikely that I will travel abroad again

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Brian,
I am sitting here in a restaurant in a city that is relatively peacefully compare to Baltimore, Maryland, having my second cup of coffee. After posting the above answer I went to a blog and realized that you were right, (I didn't say that), you see it is part of our culture, yours and mine. You see guns as a separate issue, and in a sense you are right. (I didn't say that) If you will kindley read the following link http://www.redstate.com/2015/05/19/liberalism-lethal-baltimore-proves/ , you will see what I am fighting, and all the gun controls in the world is not going to make a difference. My offer still goes, come to FL and I will treat you to the best Chinese buffet in the whole United States and Texas.
Ps. If you do please stand by the mail box, reach inside you will find a little white flag. Wave it vigorously. <G>

Which Chinese buffet is that? :p

Hi Dick
I've read it , why do they keep getting voted in if they are so bad, I must be missing something, are they buying votes via benefits as our left try to do?

You are correct that we were on different wave lengths, I was merely commenting on a particular incident, actually as I have said in my last post I was trying to make a jokey point but failed.

Also if you were a miracle man and remembered my posts in this thread you would know that I recognise that you have a cultural thing about guns. The genie is out of the bottle and you will not get it back in.
I have stated in the past that if I lived in the US I too would like to have a gun under my pillow, not locked in a cabinet separate from the bullets, what a load of bullshit that is, a gun not ready to use is no defence at all.

also I like walking, the only thing I have to worry about over here are dogs, my trekking poles take care of that, but i believe over there the animals I am likely to come across are bigger and wilder. I would need advice.

None of the above means that I don't believe that something needs to be attempted to improve gun control.

Brian

PS. Unfortunately since the lose of my wife and the deterioration in my eyesight it is unlikely that I will travel abroad again

I completely agree. It's not just a cultural thing. We are already to the point that enough bad people own enough guns that taking guns away from the law-abiding citizens would be disastrous. There are also plenty of guns illegally filtering into the US that there really isn't an easy answer to it all. Had we started this before it became a larger issue, it would have made more sense.

Wild animals? Not likely unless you are in the woods or living in the remote country. We do have bears every now and then that wander into town here, but they are usually more afraid of you. They are usually taken by animal control back into the woods further from the city when found.

I have personally seen a wild cougar or bobcat when I was young and playing in the woods, didn't really get a good look at it. It also ran away when it noticed me. Scared the hell out of me, though.

I really need to take a trip to Europe. My passport just collects dust. :rolleyes:

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
My
Hi Dick

Brian

You are exactly right. They buy votes, and the poor (low information voters) can't figure out that the more they are promised, the lest they get.

Plus where is the self motivation. Raising a family I at times worked three jobs and planted a garden for extra food. I had an Uncle that during the great depression stayed by the phone waiting for the boss to call for him to come to work for three hours a day at all different hours.

I think you and I also have a slight language problem :D. It took me a short time but I think I figured out what a (trekking poles) are. It is a walking stick. Is that correct? Remember 10 post back, surely you jest? I have trouble remembering when I get have way out the door if I was just leaving or just coming.:)
Dick

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I think hikers with hightec trekking poles might be a bit insulted to have them called walking sticks, but yes that's what they are essentially, mind you I rarely use mine to help me walk just the occasional balancing aid of an extra leg.!

Hacking my way through the rough, testing the depth of mud or water, fending off dogs are the more usual uses.

Brian

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
I think hikers with hightec trekking poles might be a bit insulted to have them called walking sticks, but yes that's what they are essentially, mind you I rarely use mine to help me walk just the occasional balancing aid of an extra leg.!

Hacking my way through the rough, testing the depth of mud or water, fending off dogs are the more usual uses.

Brian
Ok, I stand corrected, but pray tell what does a trekking pole do that my cut tree doesn't do? I have never heard of them before this.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Ok, I stand corrected, but pray tell what does a trekking pole do that my cut tree doesn't do? I have never heard of them before this.

https://www.leki.com/uk/product-area/trekking/poles/

Heck they are even more hightec than my 20 year old ones!, I like the idea of adjusting the length more quickly and easily.

Essentially they have a wrist strap which is adjusted to take your weight, your grip does not do this.
They are adjustable in length , have them shorter going up and longer coming down hill, they have built in damper, you can switch this out or in for hard trails, and varying tips for different trail conditions, also a removable snow basket to prevent them sinking too far into snow, it compacts the snow round the pole.

Otherwise there is no difference. ;)

Brian

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
Been reading this last page and can not believe my ears??

have a good day gentlemen

Blade

Bladerunner

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:15
Now here is a highteck treking pole and snake killer

Attachments

• my walking stick.jpg
    my walking stick.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 142

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Dick posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Been reading this last page and can not believe my ears??

have a good day gentlemen

Blade
Blade,
Do you have a link?

Which made me laugh

Blade hears what we write and Dick wants a link to the page he is on.

Thanks guys

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom