Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 23:41
Dick, please read my posts more carefully, I made it perfectly clear that the way you worded the way you "took" a young boy away for two weeks made it appear sinister, I clarified it by saying I did in no way accuse you.

The sidestep issue is because I am trying to ascertain clarification of how a Christian, presumably a practising one can ignore the "thou shalt not kill" commandment.

I am interested if there is any get-out clause that allows American Christians to maim and kill at the drop of a hat. Once again you ignored the core of my post and the question I asked. That is sidestepping in my view. What do you call it?

Religion it appears is "as required" and "as suits", a bit like British Christians actually.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 18:41
Religion it appears is "as required" and "as suits", a bit like British Christians actually.

Col

It seems to be true for most religions in the world, doesn't it? Rules of religion are more a matter of convenience.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
There is more that I would like to add but we just finished working on the RV and I have to take a shower and get to a meeting. Again, not an excuse, I will try and proof read better.

Sounds like an excuse to me, get back here and justify your existence some more. :p

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
The sidestep issue is because I am trying to ascertain clarification of how a Christian, presumably a practising one can ignore the "thou shalt not kill" commandment.

Of course the benefit of religion is that it prevents the misplacement of authority to a stranger you talk with on the internet.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Col

It doesn't take religion to do this. Why do you think the phrase "I'm just doing my job" is so widespread?

It's a common human trait to shirk responsibility for your own decisions. I would go further and argue that elevating religion as a special role-player in this behavior could be seen as a manifestation of it in itself.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Dick I appreciate your problems and know how time consuming having a sick wife can be whether visiting at the hospice or looking after them at home. During that time I chose to limit my time on the forum.

As for the physical problems sure the hands can be a problem I have a son in law with vibration white finger, and as for the eyes well they can't be too bad yet as you drive, I can't , I have no central vision in what was my good eye and no peripheral in the eye that the brain didn't use until the other went AWOL. I guess that is why I complain, it is an effort just to read without having to decipher errors .

BTE Did you notice the smilie when I talked about your "rubbish" , I was trying to keep it light.

Brian

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick, please read my posts more carefully, I made it perfectly clear that the way you worded the way you "took" a young boy away for two weeks made it appear sinister, I clarified it by saying I did in no way accuse you.

I am interested if there is any get-out clause that allows American Christians to maim and kill at the drop of a hat. Once again you ignored the core of my post and the question I asked. That is sidestepping in my view. What do you call it?

Col

[FONT=&quot]Ok, I will take your post at face value, but I think we both may have a communication problem as I am not the only one that took your post as an innuendo. It may be due to a whole different meaning of words, and our different culture. (example) (Your Post) [/FONT]
("took" a young boy away for two weeks made it appear sinister) I have had others read my post over and it doesn’t seem sinister to either of us.
[FONT=&quot](example) (Your Post)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I've come to the conclusion, unless someone pipes up and discusses, that Americans rabbit on about how religious and Christian they are, they refer often to their church. Yet, many conveniently own guns with the sole reason to maim and kill people, but casually forget their Christian teachings. Also, when questioned on this, they either ignore it as being non important, or sidestep the issue and hope it goes away. Dick does this all the time in his broken English style, or uses copy and paste which says nothing. Dick, I would buy a nice saddle to make it more comfortable sitting on the fence with no opinion on anything. Col[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](I've come to the conclusion, unless someone pipes up and discusses, that Americans rabbit on about how religious and Christian they are, they refer often to their church.) I have read that line over and over again and I am still not sure your meaning. Correct me if I am wrong but the best I can come up with is that you mean that Americans like to boast that they are good Christian, but that if you call them on it they say there church says that is ok or not ok. (Is that the meaning?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Rabbit) I have never heard that word used in that context.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Your post)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes, as I suspected, neatly sidestepped Dick
I would have thought the Ten Commandments are fairly set in stone and fairly clear. What else can "thou shalt not kill" mean? I know Christians bend the meanings to suit, but that one seems clear to me. Maybe it just means animals and its ok to kill fellow man with an assault rifle. Col[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You use the word Christian as if it covers everyone whose religion includes the mention of Jesus Christ. There are so many groups of “so called” Christians it makes my head swim. You can’t possible know what my beliefs are. My first college education was from a Catholic college. My second was from a Baptist college. They are worlds apart. “Thou Shalt not kill”, is found in the OT, I am not bound by the Old Testament. That is why we have a New Testament. The principle of “Thou Shalt not kill”, however, is certainly brought forth from the old. Nowhere in any post at any time have I have ever said it is ok to kill indiscriminately, but yes and yes and yes there are times when a person can and should kill. Now you may have meant the post to be meant at Christians at large, but when you put my name in the post, from where I come from that makes it a personal accusation. Not that it upsets me nor offends me, as I have learn long ago not to get bend out of shape over such things. Debating it however I would answer it as if it was an offense. I will tell you what tends to offend me and that is people that say they believe as I do, then do as you say pick and choose.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](from your post) (or uses copy and paste which says nothing) To you it means nothing. To me an others, even on this form it speaks volumes. Just because others don’t answer you it doesn’t mean they don’t agree with me. It just means that they are smarter than me, and keep out of it. It seems to me also that when I cut and paste that you take that as a comeback to something you or others have said. My cut and paste is meant for informative reading on the subject at hand, and least for those on my side of the issue. Now out of respect for Brian I have proof read this three times.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Christ, what a confusing post Dick.

Try using the quote feature to differentiate between my post comments and your effort, I can't tell what is what.

Try paragraphs to break it up a bit and make it easier to read. I'll try and read it when you have edited it.

Oh and if your sight is as bad as you say, you a) shouldn't be pushing a pram let alone driving a camper van and b) no way should you have a gun.

Col

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Christ, what a confusing post Dick.

Try using the quote feature to differentiate between my post comments and your effort, I can't tell what is what.

Try paragraphs to break it up a bit and make it easier to read. I'll try and read it when you have edited it.

Oh and if your sight is as bad as you say, you a) shouldn't be pushing a pram let alone driving a camper van and b) no way should you have a gun.

Col

Va says my distance vision is 20/20 they are issuing new glasses for reading

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
This will be my last post to you. Hope the best for you.

For someone who has repeatedly said they never get upset about people's posts, and how everyone is entitled to post. This post of yours does seem a little of an overreaction to something I must have said, god knows what though.

Oh, and you mention that the Old Testament means nothing as you have the New Testament, yet in post 73, you quote from genesis which as I recall from my brief lapse into the sordid church world, was or maybe still is in the Old Testament.

Anyway, I guess we'll never know.

Col

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
For someone who has repeatedly said they never get upset about people's posts, and how everyone is entitled to post. This post of yours does seem a little of an overreaction to something I must have said, god knows what though.

Oh, and you mention that the Old Testament means nothing as you have the New Testament, yet in post 73, you quote from genesis which as I recall from my brief lapse into the sordid church world, was or maybe still is in the Old Testament.

Anyway, I guess we'll never know.

Col

I guess I do own you an explanation. I did get upset but not at you. (At me) I salute you.
I can't believe that I let you suck me into attacks not related to the original post. My eye sight, my beliefs, my grammar has noting to do with the 2nd amendment.
touche.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I guess I do own you an explanation. I did get upset but not at you. (At me) I salute you.
I can't believe that I let you suck me into attacks not related to the original post. My eye sight, my beliefs, my grammar has noting to do with the 2nd amendment.
touche.

Interesting that you should think that gun control which also means gun ownership has nothing to do with religion or faith.
You state you are a Christian and a preacher, yet you also advocate that someone who breaks into a house to steal should die via the gun. I wonder if circumstances which provoke a burglary are ever considered, maybe a teenage girl stealing to sell goods to feed a starving family. It seems death is the only answer according to your faith.

As for the grammar, I tried to help you by pointing out the quote feature to differentiate between my post comments and your comments. It makes your post more understandable and readable, to be honest i haven't read it. That fell on stony ground so forget it.

Your eyesight was indicated by you to be "failing" yet you drive a camper van (or RV) as you call it, I merely questioned if it was dangerous.

Col

John Big Booty

AWF VIP
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:41
... and here I was thinking that us westerners were supposed to be the civilised ones.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Kind of like that other faith, in which stoning seems to be the stock punishment for most crimes and misdemeanour's :rolleyes:

Can't do that in America, it's illegal, whereas killing someone with a gun is ok.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom