Hello AccessWorld (1 Viewer)

hkc94501

Local time
Today, 23:56
Hello,
My name is Hank Cohen, I have worked all my life in computing, compilers, real-time systems, data acquisition & signal processing, network security, security protocols, crypto devices. Over 35 years of it but never until just recently did I ever do any relational database programming. So I know how to write code in C, Java, various scripting languages and I'm learning Visual Basic. I have to admit to being horrified by Visual Basic. I guess this is what happens when you have 30 years of backward compatibility holding you down. Anyway, not to rant.

I am working on tools for security assessments. Our primary targets are embedded systems but the principles should apply anywhere.
Right now I am struggling with many to many relationships, Junction Tables, and subforms.

Other interesting personal facts.
I live in Japan
2 kids both grown and on their own
hobbies: reading, cabinetmaking and playing guitar

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 14:56
Welcome to the forums! We are the most active Microsoft Access community on the internet by far, with posts going back over 20 years!

To get started, I highly recommend you read the post below. It contains important information for all new users to this forum.

https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/threads/new-member-read-me-first.223250/

We look forward to having you around here, learning stuff and having fun!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
struggling with many to many relationships

Hi Hank, Welcome to AWF!

You may find my blog on many to many useful:-

Cheers Tony

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:56
Hi. Welcome to AWF!

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:56
Welcome Hank!

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Because you mention cabinetmaking and guitar playing in your intro, I wondered if this thread here might be on interest:-

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:56
Hello, Hank, and welcome to the forum.

Can't imagine why someone with so many other languages under his belt would be horrified by VB (or VBA). I remember being even MORE than horrified by the original C language when it first came out - not because of complexity but because of the abominations that the original version of C used to allow due to its weak attitude towards data typing. (Yes, I know it has gotten better as it grew...)

hkc94501

Local time
Today, 23:56
Hello, Hank, and welcome to the forum.

Can't imagine why someone with so many other languages under his belt would be horrified by VB (or VBA). I remember being even MORE than horrified by the original C language when it first came out - not because of complexity but because of the abominations that the original version of C used to allow due to its weak attitude towards data typing. (Yes, I know it has gotten better as it grew...)
Interesting. My first programming language was FORTRAN, followed by Basic, Cobol, assembly language, and Pascal. My computing mentor at the time said of Pascal, "It will help when you learn C." It helped even more when I learned Java.

Basic was an innocent little thing back then when nobody worried about structure. VBA is something else entirely. Horrible syntax, and the most awkward grafting of object orientedness onto a syntax that couldn't even support structures. To my mind VB is an abomination borne of backward compatibility.
C on the other hand is a marvel of simplicity, especially as originally formulated by K&R. Indeed it gives the programmer enough freedom to hang himself but it also supports elegant and efficient code. I believe that programming style is more important than the language being written and that poor programers can f-up in any language. It has also, along with Algol, been the syntax leader of almost every language that came after it. VB on the other hand is based on a syntax designed for first year programmers with no experience with computers. I could go on but you get my point. Anyway I'm not a religious warrior. I gave that up long ago when I stopped Unix programming and bought Microsoft stock.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:56
You DO realize that C was actually a just bunch of DEC PDP-11 assembly language (MAC.EXE) macros, don't you? That is why initially, C was such a nightmare. There is NO data typing in assembly language. You are presumed to know what you are doing if you have the guts to actually use any kind of assembler for any real project beyond "Hello World."

Never bothered me because I was a device-driver and real-time guy when i started many moons ago. I did the FORTRAN, BASIC, ASSEMBLY, ALGOL, PASCAL, PL/1-G, ADA, and command-line scripting as a production language route. Drove people nuts with that last one, but these days it is no worse than working with SQL, which is ALSO interpreted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom