Help finding an excel guide for semi-experienced user (aka me) (1 Viewer)

marot90

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:47
Basically what th title says
Looking for a site that has articles about excel (2010, but 2013 should kinda work,too) and its functions, should not be completetly for new users, as i have at least some experience. Preferably it should be easy to navigate, as blogs (which there are plenty of) are not really that helpful when it comes to navigating. Also, blogs usually cover more specific problems than they give general tips.

For an idea of what i mean, this: http://www.excel-aid.com/ is the site i was using until now, but it is now a little too basic for my taste. Plus, the search functionality isnt that great, but i guess beggers cant be choosers.

And please do NOT refer me to google, i am well aware of its existence and using it whenever i have a SPECIFIC problem to be solved. But for the general stuff i dont want to google every time i want to learn something new, especially since i dont always know what exactly i am looking for.
Thanks to everyone willing to help.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 23:47
Have you tried Excel specific forums?

MrExcel.com for instance has books both paper and e versions.

Brian

marot90

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Brian, but i think this is once again a site that is focused more on specific problems. Or else i am not able to find tutorials easily. I tried searching for "excel tutorials" as is suggested by the site, but it just gives me resulst for specific questions. I have no doubt this site gives competent advice, but it not for me (yet).
To help understand what i am looing for: Consider a schoolbook, that teaches you stuff step by step. Basically i want that (and yes i know i could just buy such a book or get lessons, but i kinda hoped i would get it in the www for free. Don judge me :) ).

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Today, 23:47
Thanks Brian, but i think this is once again a site that is focused more on specific problems. Or else i am not able to find tutorials easily. I tried searching for "excel tutorials" as is suggested by the site, but it just gives me resulst for specific questions. I have no doubt this site gives competent advice, but it not for me (yet).
To help understand what i am looing for: Consider a schoolbook, that teaches you stuff step by step. Basically i want that (and yes i know i could just buy such a book or get lessons, but i kinda hoped i would get it in the www for free. Don judge me :) ).

Try this site;

http://www.excelcentral.com/?gclid=CN7M_q6v570CFWzJtAodxlcAXg

They have Video and Ebook tutition for Excel version 2007, 2010, and 2013, and it's all free...

marot90

Registered User.
Local time
Looks like you nailed it. Looks abit dodgy on first glance, but it seems to be alright. Unless someone else wants to offer an alternative site, this could be it.
Thanks Scott

Rx_

Nothing In Moderation
Local time
Today, 16:47
This is an old Microsoft Press Book - still has some great ideas on how to create advanced Excel applications, database connectivity, structures, OLE, and so on.
Microsoft Excel 97 Developer's Handbook by Eric Wells

If you can find a used copy, it contains a common sense approach for a developer to appreciate.

The other old artifact with valuable information is a Microsoft Course Excel 97 Object Model Programming. There actually use to be a Microsoft certification for this.
It was one of the most popular courses for me to teach back in the VB / Access programming days.
I use to teach this about once a month. However, I added many pages of SQL Serve connectivity and even machine code interfacing for custom clients. Excel is a great tool to interface for real-time statistical process control.
If Microsoft would turn that course over to the public domain, it still has many valuable lessons (outside the custom menu developer that won't work wiht the ribbon).

If there are any new books on Excel Programming available, I would like to hear about them.

Finally: there is a new Excel Add-In for SQL Server. My job has been too busy to find out more. Can't seem to find any web sites that discuss how it is used.

marot90

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks, i will look into it. Maybe i write back when i found out a little bit more about it:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom