I like Ike (or not) (1 Viewer)

Alisa

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
The problem is, it's NOT every couple of years, it could be 1 year or 100 years between hits for any one area, and people have short memories.

boblarson

Smeghead
Local time
Yesterday, 19:43
Would it not make more sense to build somewhere that you would not have to be replacing a dwelling every couple of years?
The thing is, that a disaster can happen once every year or once in every 100 years. There is no "timetable" that nature gives you. So, people will take the chance. Plus, it isn't easy to just move somewhere else. You have to have a job, housing, etc. So, where would everyone move to? It will affect those other areas and there's no guarantee that things will be any better there. In most areas there is the threat of major earthquakes, you have tornado areas and even volcano zones (of which I'm in). So, there isn't many places you can go that you are guaranteed to not have something happen to you.

So, given that - it may be that the known, even if it is that hurricanes will likely occur, is more calming than the unknown (will I have a job, where will I go, will I like it there, what kind of housing can I get, etc.).

Just a thought.

Local time
Yesterday, 21:43
And some people just love the beach. Others love woodlands. People live in places they like.

sandy6078

Take a deep breath
Local time
Yesterday, 22:43
According to one article that I read, the inside of the house did not hold up so well. Water was still able to get in and do considerable damage.

Not only that, I heard that owners of beach front properties won't even find out for a year whether they will be allowed to rebuild or not.

Referring to Alisha's thread. There is a law on the Texas books known as the Texas Open Beaches Act. Under the law, the strip of beach between the average high-tide line and the average low-tide line is considered public property, and it is illegal to build anything there.

The state has repeatedly invoked the law to seize houses in cases where a storm eroded a beach so badly that a home was suddenly sitting on public property.

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:43
According to one article that I read, the inside of the house did not hold up so well. Water was still able to get in and do considerable damage.

So... *drumroll* waterproof the house! Or something. Surely this can't be rocket science?

The state has repeatedly invoked the law to seize houses in cases where a storm eroded a beach so badly that a home was suddenly sitting on public property.

How odd. If it was to force the owner to pay for moving their house off the property, that's perfectly fine, but to seize the house.... seems to me they're overdoing it a tad.

Alisa-

Believe me, I'm appalled that I'm paying for some dumb schmuck's beachfront property. I'd like a house, please! Want to live there? Insure it yourself, not on my or anybody else's dime!

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 20:43
The houses still stand in Key West. I just can't understand how they never seldom have any damage at all and these are old homes at that.

I just saw some photos of the hurricane, its wonder more people didn't get killed.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:43
LOL ya sure it was just a rain shower... I didn't realize people's homes get demolished in your everyday thunderstorms. Must be shitty living wherever you do. Next time I'll just chill in my home while it falls around me because I don't want people looting and the government lies about the severity of the so-called "hurricanes". They just photoshop the weather services...

Besides, I didn't hear about any looting in Houston, just in New Orleans.

Perhaps if you built your houses of bricks instead of wood, maybe they would stand up to the storms a little better.

Try using 20th century building materials instead of 15th century stuff.

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Yesterday, 22:43
Perhaps if you built your houses of bricks instead of wood, maybe they would stand up to the storms a little better.

Try using 20th century building materials instead of 15th century stuff.

Col

My friend's brick home was not only destroyed by flood waters and debris, but completed gutted out by Ike. So much for that theory.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:43
My friend's brick home was not only destroyed by flood waters and debris, but completed gutted out by Ike. So much for that theory.

That is not a reason not to use bricks. I'm guessing that a higher percentage of brick built houses stood up better than wooden ones.

Using your reasoning, I would not use a car because a wheel fell off one once.

Remember the three little piggies story?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 21:43
When you see a picture like the one posted earlier, and you have experience with hurricanes and storm surges, the first question you ask is "Was that where the house stood originally? Or was it moved there?" A co-worker friend of mine told me that during the height of Katrina's punch, she stood in her daughter's house on the second floor of said house, knee deep in water, and watched her entire house float down the road. Apparently intact until it ran into a big building that used steel-frame construction.

Many slabs got "scoured" by the storm surge but the houses showed up in many strange places that you would not have anticipated. Nor would you have expected them to still be identifiable - but they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom