Lets Stop George Bush before he Destroys the Whole Planet Earth. (1 Viewer)

Local time
Yesterday, 23:53
The concept of running mate goes back to the early days of the US. Both the President and Vice President had to be from the same party. Otherwise, if you had a Republican president and a Democrat vice president and the Congress was controlled by the Democrats, the Democrats might just cook up some phony charges, impeach the president and get their man in as president.
No references, that was the way it was explained to me.

Hmmm...as I recall my US History classes, initially the VP was the loser from the opposing party. Having a running mate came along later. I think the reason they changed it was because of the possibility of such intrigue.

Not sure why they ever cared about impeachment, Bill Clinton was impeached and all that happened to him was Hillary yelled at him. Since she probably always did that anyway, it was business as usual for him.

I think some state governor races still appoint the losing candidate as Leiutenant Governor. I think I recall something like that from my 4th grade Florida history class.

Wayne Cramer

Registered User.
Local time
One thought is that Hillary wants Obama to lose big in November. Then she can return to try again in 2012. If Barak wins he will surely become the automatic candidate for 2012 and that wouldn't be good for her.

statsman

Local time
Today, 00:53
One thought is that Hillary wants Obama to lose big in November. Then she can return to try again in 2012. If Barak wins he will surely become the automatic candidate for 2012 and that wouldn't be good for her.

Doesn't she have to win again in New York in 2010?
Note, I forget when she was elected so my math might be off.

statsman

Local time
Hmmm...as I recall my US History classes, initially the VP was the loser from the opposing party. Having a running mate came along later. I think the reason they changed it was because of the possibility of such intrigue.

Not sure why they ever cared about impeachment, Bill Clinton was impeached and all that happened to him was Hillary yelled at him. Since she probably always did that anyway, it was business as usual for him.

I think some state governor races still appoint the losing candidate as Leiutenant Governor. I think I recall something like that from my 4th grade Florida history class.

I believe you are correct about the running mate. I said early days, not the beginning and this was an explanation of the process given to me by an American.

California is one such state. There was a story about 10 years ago that everytime the Democratic governor left the state, the Republican lt. governor would sign Executive orders and the like that the Governor didn't like.
He had to spend the first few days after his return cancelling everything his subordinate had done. Got to the point that the Governor rarely left the state at all.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:53
KenHigg said:
And a smoker with bad ticker doesn't exactly paint the picture of a health nut does it... No wonder he hated it

ColinEssex said:
I can't quite see what having a heart problem has to do with the like or dislike of a drink, can you expand on this theory please? (or will you do what you normally do and ignore any pressing questions)

Are you saying that anyone who does not have a heart problem would like it?

Ken, you forgot to answer my question - just thought I'd post it again to remind you.

Col

Local time
Wow, you consider that a pressing question?

There are many studies that link drinking to heart health. Some of them are positive and some are negative (towards drinking).

Though I know of no studies to prove this, I imagine that drinking too much can kill you, thus proving fatal to your heart (please note, this is my opinion, as I've tried to say several times in this sentence in my pidgeon English). Perhaps that what Ken was thinking (also my opinion).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
There are many studies that link drinking to heart health. Some of them are positive and some are negative (towards drinking).

We were talking about Gatorade - Ken eluded to the fact that as I had a heart condition earlier this year it is "no wonder he hated it"

Therefore, Ken seems to have exclusive knowlege that a person who has had a heart condition would dislike Gatorade and those who have not had a heart condition would like it.

So - what is the research on this? Is the drink Gatorade only disliked by those with a previous heart condition?

I can't quite work out why Ken would think I should dislike it. It's like saying I drive a Honda motorbike so therefore I can't like ice-cream.

I can't see the link - therefore maybe Ken can explain his logic.

Col

statsman

Local time
I won't speak for Ken, but in my opinion throwing out the Gatorade was a sign of good taste, not bad health.

I drive a BMW, what do I dislike? :D

Alc

Registered User.
Local time
I won't speak for Ken, but in my opinion throwing out the Gatorade was a sign of good taste, not bad health.

I drive a BMW, what do I dislike? :D
If you're driving it in Ontario, indicating before changing lanes? :D

statsman

Local time
Followed closely by driving at 60 km/hr in the passing lane of the 401.

Near which city, town or village do you reside?

Local time
We were talking about Gatorade - Ken eluded to the fact that as I had a heart condition earlier this year it is "no wonder he hated it"

Therefore, Ken seems to have exclusive knowlege that a person who has had a heart condition would dislike Gatorade and those who have not had a heart condition would like it.

So - what is the research on this? Is the drink Gatorade only disliked by those with a previous heart condition?

I can't quite work out why Ken would think I should dislike it. It's like saying I drive a Honda motorbike so therefore I can't like ice-cream.

I can't see the link - therefore maybe Ken can explain his logic.

Col

Sorry Col. I remember that now. Thanks for straightening me out.

I kinda got what Ken said at that time because I thought that Gatorade had a very high sodium content (I could be wrong). Since sodium is linked to high blood pressure and high blood pressure is linked to heart problems...

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Sorry Col. I remember that now. Thanks for straightening me out.

I kinda got what Ken said at that time because I thought that Gatorade had a very high sodium content (I could be wrong). Since sodium is linked to high blood pressure and high blood pressure is linked to heart problems...

Yes I see that, but that doesn't preclude me from liking it or not. I have salt on food.
But Ken eluded to the fact that if you have a heart condition it's 'no wonder he didn't like it' - therefore, Kens logic dictates - if you don't have a heart condition you must like it - but I'm guessing there must be people who a) don't have a heart condition and b) don't like Gatorade. Why is Ken surprised I didn't like it? I can't see the link.

As usual, Ken can't be bothered to answer direct questions it seems, so we'll never know where he gets his facts from.

Col

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:53
Ask Ken, he knows all the links to do with likes and dislikes.

Col

Don't get snippy now.

Ken is not the only one who has difficutly facing up to a posted error. If you're going to spend all your time forcing him to acknowledge it, we won't have time for the important stuff. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom