Live to work? or Work to live? (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 23:34
I worked to live so I could afford to do the things I wanted to do. I guess there are very people around who when they are at death's door would say "I wish I had spent more time at work"

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 18:34
Why do you think I still come on here after 5 years retirement, and I like logic challenges like the recent Lady Di problem in Excel. Ok not on much at the moment as wife is very ill, but still like a break on here.

My original comment was a little tongue in cheek, but I don't trust statistics as they are usually shallowly based, yeah I did make that word up. :D

Brian
Brian,
Since the day's of being known as Jsanders I have always had the most respect for you.

Thank you for continuing to show up here.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 15:34
I think it is more important to me and my family to put life ahead of work. Too many people work their butts off for the future that never comes: either they accidently step out in front of a bus one day, get taken out by some other twist of fate, or have a family which abandons them or moves on with out them as they are rarely present or participating in life.
I guess for some people if they live to work then that is their choice.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
I am working to live. I need the insurance with my health difficulties. Would love to pull the plug and live on the cheap, but cannot do that. 5 more years to retirement and then consider me living to live...The corporate clap-trap is really starting to get me down. All we ever hear around here is blah blah blah - trigger word - trigger word - blah blah blah - lie lie lie - (well, you know the rest).:mad:

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
I forgot that most Americans will think of a gun. It is actually an ice-lolly (? ice-pop in the USA?)

It has ice-cream in the middle with a chocolate coating on the outside, very nice.

Col

Damn that looks good! They have me on a steriod right now that gives me a huge appetite. Looks like I'll be stopping at DQ on the way home...

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I am working to live. I need the insurance with my health difficulties. Would love to pull the plug and live on the cheap, but cannot do that. 5 more years to retirement and then consider me living to live...The corporate clap-trap is really starting to get me down. All we ever hear around here is blah blah blah - trigger word - trigger word - blah blah blah - lie lie lie - (well, you know the rest).:mad:
Why else do we work? We all need to feed our families, pay for their and our own healthcare etc. What depresses me are those people who are complete workaholics, who put work before their families and are completely focused on the job at the expense of everything else.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Why else do we work? We all need to feed our families, pay for their and our own healthcare etc. What depresses me are those people who are complete workaholics, who put work before their families and are completely focused on the job at the expense of everything else.

I used to be one of those types. Glad I no longer am. I watch those kind retire and die within 12 months, it drives them nuts to stay at home. :(

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If I could, I would be a stay at home mom, but haven't got the finances to a point where I can do that.

Do you agree that it's ok to have kids even when you can't bring them up yourself?
Or would it be better to wait until you can look after them properly and provide a real family environment, thus giving the child the best start with a real mother, not a paid mother whom the kid sees more than the real mother.

That is after all, a womans job - to raise the children, not to go out - fob the kids off on strangers and then have a nice child free day.

Ok, people say they need the money, why not think of that before conception? Passion before logic? Is that the answer? or logic before passion?

It's no wonder so many kids are mixed-up.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Do you agree that it's ok to have kids even when you can't bring them up yourself?
Or would it be better to wait until you can look after them properly and provide a real family environment, thus giving the child the best start with a real mother, not a paid mother whom the kid sees more than the real mother.

That is after all, a womans job - to raise the children, not to go out - fob the kids off on strangers and then have a nice child free day.

Ok, people say they need the money, why not think of that before conception? Passion before logic? Is that the answer? or logic before passion?

Col

I think that you are being too simplistic, I suspect that the mixed up kids come from uncaring homes that have nothing to do with whether both parents work, infact its more likely to be where neither ever have.

But then I also suspect that you are just trying to be provocative .

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
But then I also suspect that you are just trying to be provocative .

Brian

Give a dog a bad name eh Bri?:rolleyes:

Well, actually, I saw a programme recently that touched on whether working parents were able to give the time and nurturing that a child needs.
It said that working parents are stressed / too busy / too tired for the "normal" requirements of parenthood. The parents focus more on money and social status. Therefore too many kids grow up insular and unable to communicate well, they lack confidence etc etc.

Now, whether this is true or not I have no idea. Parents will of course deny it.
It was just a comment not a stir.

I apologise for trying to inject some life into these dead American forums.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Circumstances can change between conception and the baby arriving or indeed later. Very few people nowadays have 100% secure jobs. So it is impossible to accurately predict your income in 5 years time. IMO it is better for any child to be brought up in a loving environment where there is little stress than to be brought up where parents are constantly struggling to make ends meet.

I know from personal experience I was most stressed as a parent when I was struggling to make ends meet on a poor salary. Once I was able to change jobs (not always easy in economic depressions) then stress levels came down when you knew you could pay all the monthly bills. Personally I see no harm in mother of children of school age having a job. It would be a pity ifthey did not feel able to use their talents to help their family.

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 18:34

How 1940 of you.

Personally, I think daycare is good for kids as it teaches them to socialize with children their own age.

Davep said:

haha. I could set my watch by your bitterness. Take a look out your window, I think I see some kids on your lawn!

jamesmor

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:34
Personally, I think daycare is good for kids as it teaches them to socialize with children their own age.

I'm not big on the whole daycare thing. When we had our first child my wife quit her job to stay at home, and while we've had to make sacrifices because of losing her pay, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Many children in my daughter's class have 2 working parents. These kids have no idea of right/wrong, manners, or any of the other things thate parents used to teach their children.

Most parents expect the school to do it for them these days.

As far as educationally and socially my daughter is actually slightly ahead of her classmates, all of whom are older than her(this is her teacher's opinion, not just mine).

I attribute it all to having a wonderful loving mother who was able to stay at home with them.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 15:34
So how many children did you have?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Give a dog a bad name eh Bri?:rolleyes:

Col

No need to apologise , just don't be so thin skinned. :)
Being provocative or playing devil's advocate are useful to hone one's arguments.

The use of the adjective "American" was however predictable and unnecessary.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time

That will depend on the day care, but then all parents are different too.

My sister in law does pickups, ie collects from school, children upto the age of 10 that she cared for as 1 year olds +, this mix of ages that she has from 4-6 pm is great for the kids as they interact.

She does rule with strict discipline and lots of love.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
As far as the wife giving up work and sacrificing her salary

1 What if she is the main earner, my daughter earns almost twice as much as her bloke.

2 How long should she stay at home? Are you sure that she could pick up her career after a long break?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom