Oh the Misery (1 Viewer)

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 02:21
I watch soccer all the time on Setanta.

The coach seems to be doing nothing but calling plays throughout the game. :confused:
In fact it is very difficult for any player to hear what the coach is saying at a top level football(soocer) match because of the crowd noise. The coach(manager) is just hoping that some of what is saying will come through to the players:)

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Yesterday, 21:21
Cheap abuse is not helpful. If I accept what you say then Rugby is just as strategic as American Football. The Stand-Off is as much a play controller as a quarterback (they play in very similar positions) and of course in all top level sport the coaches have very similar responsibilities.

I still think that the choice of an individual play as tactical rather than strategic.

I suspect that you as a knowledgable AF fan don't understand the other sports well enough to see the same features in them.

Wasn't trying to be cheep, I am easy though. LOL

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I watched a good football game tonight.

With an eye on looking for strategy.

First as outlined earlier, there are five major offensive methods for advancing the ball.

The Kick Off
The Pass
The Run
The Punt
And the Field Goal

Within these there are hundreds of variations, both major and minor.

There are five methods of scoring; all have a different strategic value.

The Touchdown - 6 points
The Extra Point Field Goal - 1 point
The Extra Point Conversion-2 points
The Field Goal- 3 points
The Safety-2 points

And there is a game plan...Strategy

So without any knowledge of the game it is obviously much more complicated than games similar to soccer and hockey.

It takes years as a fan to decipher all the permutations associated with this level of diversity. Decisions made in any part of the game will have a profound effect on later scoring efforts
I will end here; but suffice it to say that even if you don’t see the difference, it exists.

http://www.ducksters.com/sports/footballstrategy.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football_strategy

There's a few hundred more.

Last edited:

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Two questions.

1. 4th and 2
Was that a good call?

I believe it was a terrific call, that only a superb coach could make. Brady is one of the best QB in the league, asking him to get 2 yards is usually a sure thing. If they had of got that measly two yards (which they missed by inches), the game would have been over. If they punted, Manning would have had plenty of time to drive the field. Besides, we have all seen Manning's 2 minute drill. He doesn't need much time to march down the field.

2. College Ball - USF vs Miami

Any thoughts on who will win? I am a USF fan, but I am not so sure they can pull it off. I think it all depends on which BJ Daniels shows up for the game. Will it be the Daniels that played FSU, or that played Rutgers? We have shown the ability to beat teams of Miami's caliber, just not consistently.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Two questions.

1. 4th and 2
Was that a good call?

I believe it was a terrific call, that only a superb coach could make. Brady is one of the best QB in the league, asking him to get 2 yards is usually a sure thing. If they had of got that measly two yards (which they missed by inches), the game would have been over. If they punted, Manning would have had plenty of time to drive the field. Besides, we have all seen Manning's 2 minute drill. He doesn't need much time to march down the field.

Any thoughts on who will win? I am a USF fan, but I am not so sure they can pull it off. I think it all depends on which BJ Daniels shows up for the game. Will it be the Daniels that played FSU, or that played Rutgers? We have shown the ability to beat teams of Miami's caliber, just not consistently.

I was watching Ball St at W.Mich (college) But I think Mich lost from a bad judgement call when they decided to try for a first down within field goal range. They trailed by 5 with 6 mins of play. After they missed the first down (duh) same deal 4th and low, Ball St. just ran out the clock.

I don't follow college ball, (except VA Tech, daughter goes there) but I like watching

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Field goal range is different in college. Kickers don't have the range or the consistency of the NFL guys. Perhaps that is why they went for the first. I don't know, because I wasn't watching that game. edit- If they were truly in the kicker's range, I think going for the first is a bad call too. With six minutes left you have to put points on the board. They are bound to get the ball back, and could then potentially taken the lead.

You may want to watch the USF game on Saturday. It will be a huge game. Hopefully it isn't a blow-out. I believe it is on ABC nationally.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Two questions.

1. 4th and 2
Was that a good call?

1. I disagree. I truly believe in their own territory, Manning is way too much of a threat with that kind of time to not punt it with 2 yards to go. They could have pinned Indy deep in their own territory with less than 2 minutes to go and a touchdown required for the Colts to win. They would have had a much better chance at stopping them this way playing deep defense at first to prevent a big play, forcing the Colts to run shorter plays and running out the clock. The risk in giving them the ball that close in their own territory? That was a stupid call with a team like the Colts and a more than capable Manning led offense.

2. Don't watch college ball, so no opinion lol.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time

First as outlined earlier, there are five major offensive methods for advancing the ball.

The Kick Off
The Pass
The Run
The Punt
And the Field Goal

The Touchdown - 6 points
The Field Goal- 3 points
The Safety-2 points

So without any knowledge of the game it is obviously much more complicated than games similar to soccer and hockey.

It takes years as a fan to decipher all the permutations associated with this level of diversity. Decisions made in any part of the game will have a profound effect on later scoring efforts
I will end here; but suffice it to say that even if you don’t see the difference, it exists.

I am not denying the strategic/tactical content of American Football. However I am saying that it is not unique. Rugby has as many tactical/strategic possibilities as AF. cricket deinitely has more scope for strategy as a match can be played over 5 days.

Try to see the broader picture and realise that a) Most of what you admire is Tactics and b) AF is not unique in this respect

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 18:21

The Kick Off
The Pass
The Run
The Punt
And the Field Goal

The Touchdown - 6 points
The Field Goal- 3 points
The Safety-2 points

Its Rugby - but with padding lots of stops and starts.

I agree with Rabbie - that I think you are deluding yourself a little in thinking the game more complicated. The same decisions are applied in most sports - except they happen - quicker and more often, and with more personal responsibility.

By you own admission - the stategic imput of those playing is minimal compared to ther sports, its all the coach and quarterback. So I agree that in that sense the coach etc are more important once the game has started - but that also means - that the coach is more important in the other sports at other times before the game. ie he needs to teach the team the stategy before hand, which in AF they dont.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I am not denying the strategic/tactical content of American Football. However I am saying that it is not unique. Rugby has as many tactical/strategic possibilities as AF. cricket deinitely has more scope for strategy as a match can be played over 5 days.

Try to see the broader picture and realise that a) Most of what you admire is Tactics and b) AF is not unique in this respect

I

I was merely comparing it to basketball, hockey, and soccer, because someone earlier in this thread made a “we’re superior because we have our own type of (more aesthetically pleasing) football.”
I reckon I was going on, mostly about supposedly “British superiority”, in the guise of a football discussion.

Soccer this, soccer that, soccer is better than everything.
I don’t have a clue about either cricket or rugby.

Last edited:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Yesterday, 18:21
I was mearly comparing it to basket ball and soccer, because someone earlier in this thread made a were superior because we have our own type of (more astethitaclly pleasing) football.

I was merely comparing it to basketball, hockey, and soccer, because someone earlier in this thread made a “we’re superior because we have our own type of (more aesthetically pleasing) football.”
I reckon I was going on, mostly about supposedly “British superiority”, in the guise of a football discussion.

Soccer this, soccer that, soccer is better than everything.
I don’t have a clue about either cricket or rugby.

Whats the one post with a Brit Scott calling soccer the beautiful game got to do hockey or basketball then?

The point was started by you before - anyone mentioned soccer. Don't blame others, for you views.

Scott called soccer the beautiful game once in one post I think. You are the one banging on about AF being more strategic than just about anything else. And that fans of other simpler sports - just aren't capable of understanding.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Dallas Cowboys are moving up the ladder

Last edited:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
What's a cowbow? Like a cross bow but you shoot cows with it? :p

Ya'll are so funny. It must make ya'll feel good to make fun of a retard, oops, that's not politically correct. LOL

I changed it so now it reads right.

Cowboys rule.

I need a cross bow to help a friend of mine get rid of some deer in his back yard. A great deal for me. A years worth of venison with little effort.

KenHigg

Local time
You want to borrow my crossbow?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom