Stock/Outwork Database (1 Viewer)

thierry2014

Local time
Today, 12:51
Hello,

A great forum everyone......I haven't used access for many years now, and I'm gradually getting into the swing of it again!

I've been tasked with creating a simple stock/outwork database, and I'm struggling to get to grips with what I need to do regarding tables, relationships and creating forms for the front end..... so here goes (sorry about the length of this!)

OK, I want to create a database of automobile nets.....

Raw Nets (unmanufactured) - There are 11 colours of varying styles of net (but only 3 types of style which are map,wide & armrest)

Wires come in as raw stock also - there are 3 types of this to match the style (map, wide & armrest)

So there are 33 possible colours/style of net and 3 styles of wire........(bare with me!)

19 employees take home (each week) a quantity of nets (of the 33 possible combinations) plus the wires to match the type of net they have and make this up returning varying amounts to the warehouse each day......

They are allocated, say 1000 of a certain type and are given more when finished.....

Each employee is paid for completed nets returned within a pay week (which is Thursday to Wednesday) and I need a report to show this (with the option to select and record dates of these returns etc)

A report is also required to show each type of net to show:

1) Current raw stock total (option to update this when new raw stock comes in)
2) Each style combination that is currently with an employee (for outwork)
3) Returned/Completed net quantity (option to reset this to 0 when actually sent out to customer)

An employee would need to (using user forms from the front end) update raw stock and allocate nets to each person as well as update it when nets are completed as well!)

Any pointers, or help with structuring this would be very helpful to me indeed to get some sort of system working!

Currently, we use a notebook to record all this!!!!

I've tried to explain what I'm after the best I can so apologies if this doesn't make much sense!

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Many thanks.

Craig

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 15:51
Roll up the sleeves...

I would suggest (reluctantly) using the NW DB as a starting point and then adapt it for your needs. Once you get your tables built and populated you will be able to ask more specific questions. Broad questions like this go unanswered because the time and effort to answer is more than most of us have.

Remember, you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Good luck and don't get discouraged!

thierry2014

Local time
Today, 12:51
Thank you for your time....I will take at look at that now........ :)

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 15:51
You may get some table and relationship ideas from this link.

This link identifies a basic general approach to database design.

If you are new to database, then I recommend 3 videos by Daniel Soper.
There are # 1,2 and 4 in the Database series that starts here.

You may also get some insight from this 26 minutes video on Inventory/Stock Management

Bottom line:
Write clear description of the business you are trying to automate.
Create a data model. (pencil and paper is fine)
Get/create some test data.
Verify/validate your data model. Reconcile every anomaly. Then retest.

If you work through this tutorial (30-50 miinutes) you'll learn the basic process to identify tables and create relationships based on business rules. But you have to work through the tutorial.

See My stump the model info .

Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom