US Presidential Election Countdown Closing (1 Viewer)

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Yesterday, 22:17
Only a few days left to get in those last minute jabs.
U-tube video: Mr. Burns Endorses Romney | The Simpsons | Animation on Fox

The Washington Post had this story, this AM: Job growth, unemployment rate rose in October as workers re-entered labor force

As an additional thought. Both Romney and Obama have made references to "civil liberties" in various campaign ads. I have yet to hear either candidate actually make a promise to restore "civil liberties" that have been diminished in the name of fighting this or that "war".

Both Romney and Obama will contort the numbers for their political advantage. But the significance of this article concerns what has been missing from the whole Presidential economic debate. That concern is whether the US should have a "planned" economy. Furthermore, this would seem to conflict with the espoused American belief concerning self-reliance. Are we to look to the President as some sort of fearless cult leader who simply waves his/her hands, mumbles a magically incantation, and presto all "evil" issues are resolved?

Both candidates for President claim that they can create (private sector) jobs. What that will mean is increased meddling (management if you prefer) by the government in the economy. Essentially they are proposing the re-creation of failed planned economic policies similar to the now defunct Soviet Union.

As an additional observation. Both Romney and Obama have made gratuitous references concerning "civil liberties". To my knowledge, I have yet to hear any explicit promise to restore "civil liberties" diminished in the name of fighting this or that "war".

Last edited:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
The only candidate for me qualified to say he can create jobs is Johnson. Gary Johnson was credited for creating tens of thousands of jobs as Governor of New Mexico, all while balancing the budget AND cutting 1,200 government jobs, WITHOUT firing anyone. Romney was responsible for creating companies that outsourced to China, had the 47th highest job growth rate as Governor of MA, and quite frankly, I just don't trust him. Obama is too weak. He hasn't been able to lead a bipartisan discussion at all.

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Last edited:

KenHigg

Local time
...companies that outsourced to China

Thats an odd 'dis-qualifier'. Any campaign money that comes from a us company is most likey importing something from china ?!? you saying obamas money is clean?

Vassago

Local time
Thats an odd 'dis-qualifier'. Any campaign money that comes from a us company is most likey importing something from china ?!? you saying obamas money is clean?

I'm saying his track record doesn't prove he's looking to create jobs in America. My main point was he helped create tons of jobs that are no longer in America. I'm not so sure he's economically capable of doing what he promises. Independent economists, experts in the field who know much more presumably, cannot do the math to make his plan possible. He refuses to release any real details on how his plan will work. I just can't get behind that.

I can promise you I can turn dog urine into wine. Everyone, scientists, doctors, expers in the field will tell you it's impossible. Will you believe it anyway?

Adam Caramon

Local time
Gotcha... and BOs track record in last 4 years is golden :rolleyes:

Ken, with you being one of the old timers around here, I've read several posts from various other old timers who talked about the quality discussions that occurred in the past, and your name is brought up. Unfortunately, you seem to only debate with the typical shifty tactics (straw man arguments, talking in sound bites, etc).

How disappointing.

KenHigg

Local time
Sorry Adam, I'll try to up my game, although I'll have to admit I'm not sure what a straw man argument is...

Adam Caramon

Local time
Sorry Adam, I'll try to up my game, although I'll have to admit I'm not sure what a straw man argument is...

Here's a great example for you:

Vassago said:
I'm saying his track record doesn't prove he's looking to create jobs in America.

KenHigg said:
Gotcha... and BOs track record in last 4 years is golden

No where did Vassago say that the President's record in the last 4 years is golden. Rather than discussing why Romney would be a better choice, or why you think Romney's track record proves that he is looking to create jobs in America, you address Vassago as though he claimed that the President's track record in the last 4 years is golden, and then attack that idea.

KenHigg

Local time
It actually elementary Adam. Vas implies a track record is an import measure. I point out his candidates track record isn’t much to brag about either. Get it?

Adam Caramon

Local time
It actually elementary Adam. Vas implies a track record is an import measure. I point out his candidates track record isn’t much to brag about either. Get it?

I agree that your arguments are elementary, that's why I was trying to explain to you what a straw man argument is - in the hopes that you would refrain from such arguments in the future.

KenHigg

Local time
You act like a democrate - I try to explain the logic and yet you continue to try and turn the topic....

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 03:17
Look, nobody cares about the stupid American election. Whichever loser gets in will still cause global mayhem through wars or economic chaos.

When will the Americans learn that there plenty of other more interesting things happening than a stupid American election.

Both candidates have stupid names, both lie and fabricate what they would do in power, both will only look after themselves just like Bush did earning millions from backhanders and paybacks.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
When will the Americans learn that there plenty of other more interesting things happening than a stupid American election.

Um... When you Brits stop bringing up? :D

Vassago

Local time
I point out his candidates track record isn’t much to brag about either. Get it?

You didn't point out my candidate's track record isn't good. You only talked about BO's track record, which I agree with you. Both BO and Romney are not the right men for the job. :confused:

You assume suddenly that I am an Obama supporter. In the very post you quoted, I think I made it clear who I supported. ;)

KenHigg

Local time
You didn't point out my candidate's track record isn't good. You only talked about BO's track record, which I agree with you. Both BO and Romney are not the right men for the job. :confused:

You assume suddenly that I am an Obama supporter. In the very post you quoted, I think I made it clear who I supported. ;)

Sorry Vas, I don't have the band-width to research your guy. Although I suspect he isn't much better ;)

Vassago

Local time
Sorry Vas, I don't have the band-width to research your guy. Although I suspect he isn't much better ;)

I can't really debate against an opinion based on nothing. ;)

You can suspect that. I've already posted why I think he is most qualified to create jobs and boost the economy, as well as settle the budget issues.

Vassago

Local time
Also, if you aren't willing to research all of the candidates, how do you know you are voting for the person you think is best?

KenHigg

Local time
I wanted Newt. He's the only that could put together an agenda to cut out fat and didn't care who thought he's a jack ass.

Vassago

Local time
I wanted Newt. He's the only that could put together an agenda to cut out fat and didn't care who thought he's a jack ass.

Gary Johnson did just that as Governor of New Mexico.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom