Why so Anti America on this forum? (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:37
Pardon me, I did say he crossed the line. ;)

I'm guessing that when Col and Rich decide to reduce the number of their hate posts to a more modest level they will become less of target themselves - ;)

It's not hate posts. It's educational - if only you could see we're trying to integrate you Yanks into the normal world instead of being so insular and arrogant thinking you know it all.

Maybe people would like you - you never know. You need to do something to reverse the damage your dictator has done to the USA.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Pardon me, I did say he crossed the line. ;)

Crossed the line? - I've been called racist, Nazi, a member of Hitler youth and various other names, been chastised verbally, Statsman has gone off in a huff, Daniella has had a fit for 2 weeks - and you say Mike "crossed the line"?

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:37
To be totally honest I find it hard to believe any one, especially you, would even take the comparison seriously - ;)

R

Rich

To be totally honest I find it hard to believe any one, especially you, would even take the comparison seriously - ;)

The word coon has meant nothing other than a deliberate insult to coloured people since when I went to school, I wonder how far one would get walking around Brixton uttering the word coon:rolleyes:

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 01:37
About as long as one would last uttering chinkie in chinatown... :)

KalelGmoon

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:37
wow a 12 page thread of hate, looks like Mike did what he was trying to do and get everyone riled up.

I will say it, Mike that kind of language and attitude is what gets people killed. being an arsehole and calling names is not acceptable in polite conversation is not the way to get a point across. I have always thought of this forum as a polite conversation, though there are some and more than just two who like ot push each others buttons, but they usually do it in a more polite way.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, it used to be that white acquaintances (usually people I worked with) would layout an ethnic slur every now and then (guess cause I was White also), but really haven't heard it in years. Today every now and then you will hear something in regards to Hispanics (illegal immigration issues is usually the topic) or against Arabs (many topics, but the same mentality level on their part), and occasionally against gays. Still not to often do you hear that much, at least until a few weeks ago I signed up for an Xbox live account.
I can't believe the racial slurs, gay bashing, etc. by the mostly younger crowd on Xbox live. Yes, and some have a U.K. accent, but mostly I would guess U.S. So one has to wonder if they are getting it from the parents, or from per pressure in school.
Thoughts?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
I have always thought of this forum as a polite conversation, though there are some and more than just two who like ot push each others buttons, but they usually do it in a more polite way.

Haven't read much in here huh? :rolleyes:

OK, Col is usually more polite, but Rich I would classify as a button pusher ;)

Not sure if those are "two" you are talking 'bout, but others have been known to push a button or two, I think I mighht be the only that has NEVER done that :eek:

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
The word coon has meant nothing other than a deliberate insult to coloured people since when I went to school, I wonder how far one would get walking around Brixton uttering the word coon:rolleyes:

That term hasn't really been used to describe black people where I'm from, at least not much that I'm aware of. I am aware that it has been used as a slur for blacks in places (and I never really understood that :confused:). But, depending on where you are it can mean different things. In Texas and Oklahoma, when someone says the word coon, my guess is a lot of people think of raccoon first. It hearkens back to the time of the Alamo and Davy Crockett and his coonskin cap, and that doesn't mean he was wearing a hat made out of a black person. ;) However, the word chinky is a derivative of the word chink, which is a derogatory name for Chinese and it, to my knowledge, has never had any other meaning.

R

Rich

That term hasn't really been used to describe black people where I'm from, at least not much that I'm aware of. I am aware that it has been used as a slur for blacks in places (and I never really understood that :confused:). But, depending on where you are it can mean different things. In Texas and Oklahoma, when someone says the word coon, my guess is a lot of people think of raccoon first. It hearkens back to the time of the Alamo and Davy Crockett and his coonskin cap, and that doesn't mean he was wearing a hat made out of a black person. ;) However, the word chinky is a derivative of the word chink, which is a derogatory name for Chinese and it, to my knowledge, has never had any other meaning.

Like where I come from "Chinky" means either a takeaway or meal. I've never used it to describe a person, oddly enough it was those who are now here trying to defend "coon", apart from your goodself of course;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Well Cindy therein lies the problem, and why I have said that the thread has been biased. We donot have raccooons in this country and i would bet that well over 90% of British would see coon as a slur on blacks, as Mike intended it. However i have never come across chink and chinky as a slur on Chinese people until it was mentioned on this forum. I suspect that the majority of British people admire and even like the Chinese immigrants, and especially like Chinese restaurants and takeaways, thus their use of chinky is not a slur but just a short hand, and the much quoted wiki does not suggest that that use of it is in anyway demeaning.

I think it is a case of context is everything.

Brian

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Like where I come from "Chinky" means either a takeaway or meal. I've never used it to describe a person, oddly enough it was those who are now here trying to defend "coon", apart from your goodself of course;)

;) So long as we have that straightened out. :)

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Well Cindy therein lies the problem, and why I have said that the thread has been biased. We donot have raccooons in this country and i would bet that well over 90% of British would see coon as a slur on blacks, as Mike intended it. However i have never come across chink and chinky as a slur on Chinese people until it was mentioned on this forum. I suspect that the majority of British people admire and even like the Chinese immigrants, and especially like Chinese restaurants and takeaways, thus their use of chinky is not a slur but just a short hand, and the much quoted wiki does not suggest that that use of it is in anyway demeaning.

I think it is a case of context is everything.

Brian

So true, and as I said I'm aware at least that the word coon CAN be used as a derogatory name for blacks, which is why on the rare occasion I have something to say about raccoons I use the full word to avoid any ambiguity. People over here don't use the word chinky at all but the word chink has been used as a derogatory term to describe Chinese people. If someone used the word chinky here it would be frowned upon. :cool:

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
So if you were amongst a group of black people you would happily say, " we had some coons round are way last night"

Brian

It's very simple. Its a case of what you are referring to. Fofa was referring to a creature, period. Rich refers to a building that MUST be linked to the Chinese in some way. Fofa was not using the derogatory sense of 'coon' in any shape or form. He was referring to a furry creature. Unlike Rich with 'chinky' because the building or meal that he refers to must be Chinese for the term to be applied to it. Therefore the derogatory sense of the word applies.

I would use the term FoFa uses in the sense that he uses it in, in any company. If the company took offense I would explain I meant no offense and cease to use it further. However I know several black people who own and refer to their hunting dogs as 'coon dogs' and go 'coon' hunting etc etc so I have never had to withdraw the use of it. Perhaps one day that will change and if it does I'm quite willing to be flexible.

Your perceived bias against Rich and Col is not imagined. It stems from them telling me and my fellow compatriots that we are morons. If you could just pretend for a minute how you would feel if they had been doing this against you because you, say, hail from Liverpool, for months, years on end perhaps you could see where I'm coming from. The difference is, though, is that you are not ridiculed for being British whenever you want to make a remark on something. So you have little motivation to empathize. Take a couple of years of this bitter pill and you would be whistling a different tune though, I guarantee it.

If you feel like it. You can try and contest my argument with a reasoned approach because up until now, nobody here has said the reasoning behind why I think I do towards the term 'chinky' is actually wrong. Just that I am biased or American or politically correct or some other such label so as to avoid addressing what I'm actually saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom