An American in the UK (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 05:12
Here's an interesting article about an American girl living in London. Its a year old, but highlights some good stuff.
BBC News

Here's some quotes

She says the level of anti-Americanism she has experienced "feels like a kind of racism".

Ms Cox, 29, says she has been called, among other things, "terrorist", "scum", "low life", and feels that she is constantly being held to account for the actions of President Bush and for US foreign policy.

I appreciate that British people often don't understand why I have so much pride, they think it's brainwashing.
And I do think some people in the US need to be more educated about what's going on in the world.

Some friends now advise her to tell people she is Canadian, to deflect potential abuse, an option she calls "sad".

I was aware before I moved here that when you travelled abroad it was always better to say you were Canadian if you could get away with it. But we treated it more like a joke

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
It seems Venezuela is not exactly the US bed partner.

BBC News

Here's a good quote from their leader about GWB

Hugo said this recently about George: "The imperialist, mass murdering, fascist attitude of the president of the United States doesn't have limits. I think Hitler could be a nursery baby next to George W Bush."

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:12
Note to Chavez: "Those in Glass Houses..."

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Yesterday, 21:12
THis is quite sad that this occurs - I have never come accross -
what I have come accross is a few (Note Few) US citizens feel that they rule the world and that the world should bow down to them ie Were American so treat us better...

The ladies comment about comparing Bush to a father figure does in some ways differ with our view of the prime minister or president of whatever country you happen to be from
state side he seems to idiolised (hope I spelt that one right)
where as we (at least in the UK) see our prime minster as a servant of the people, and up for ridicule his power stops at the countries borders - he can negoicate treats, and try to enrole other europena/worldwide leaders to his(or hers) point of view
State side Bush comes out with statemetns like your either with us or against us -
not very friendly ....

I have just come back from a convention and soemthing slightly similar happen it was a worldwide convention and the speaker a canidian raised a point - whatever the point was is not a problem, however the American representative stood up and stated if they werent running it , then they would effectively destroy the motion - the cancidan was prepared for this attidue - and they voted to accept the montion and invited the US to resign...(he didn't but tried to move the motion to his way.. again the candians invited him to leave if he didn't like the motion- the rest of the world accepted this motion, propbably more out of spite than real interest

now those who know me on this forum know that I actual like the States and the vast majority of people there, but this bullish attitude does not go down well .. with the Brits for a start - now that does not mean we are the most wonderful of people. also it does not also state what happend before this interview the lady in question could of been spouting that the US is the best at everything and slagging off other countires/nations etc now I am sure thats not the case .. but what lead to these comments cos' I have never come accross this situtation before , friendly banter between UK and ths states, but the same banter between Ireland and the UK , THe ozzies ,the kiwis , the french, italians ....

I ramble..

Jakboi

Death by Access
Local time
Well I bet it was the same people harassing...the far left elements of your population...

The GWB haters crowd...the crowd that has no solutions but just personal attacks and hatred...They NEVER have any idea how to solve any issues, but they just personally attack people...

Yup we have them here too.:rolleyes:

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 06:12
Well I bet it was the same people harassing...the far left elements of your population...

The GWB haters crowd...the crowd that has no solutions but just personal attacks and hatred...They NEVER have any idea how to solve any issues, but they just personally attack people...

Yup we have them here too.:rolleyes:

Yep, would be interesting to see the change of tone when Hillary would be your next president !:rolleyes:

GaryPanic

Local time
Bush has caused problems - not solved them
his arrogant approach to world politics is "your with us or your my enermy(?)
I am right and you are wrong "

The bible is the only book-religion in the world
anyone not christian is a terrorist attitude

this is just fuel for the extremists
this will (excuse my laungauge) piss of the Islamics , who are a little touchy at the best of times(the extremists are anyway),the Jewish but they keep there views to themselves as they are prettty flexible about most things except the extremists, the seek's (typo)-- The buddests wheres as te clintons were a littel bit more worldly - might of had the same views but keep tere mouth shut .

as to hilary being the next leader- I am as are most of us are too removed to really give an in depth comment - but as a purely personal view

she had the pedigree to do the job , she can talk the talk and walk the walk- visually good on the telly .

she stands out - but as i said who ever is going to be her opposition - might be just as good -

another personal view a women president would be good for the states as would a "black" president, mix em together a black women president would be something great, but I don't think that that is on the agenda for at least 20-30 years

someone who I thought would of been good was c. powel (hope I got his name right) ex army guy

he came accross as an honest person- (might of been a real crook - but could carry it off well), he is know to the rest of the world and also respected -

he would be a good choice to rattle the black extremists - a black preisdent and one who would not use the "black card" - but use his presence , his skills and be a role model for others

I ramble

here in the UK - bush(and Blair) are seem to be complete wastes of space
our goverement will more than likely change on the next election and I would not be surprises if the difference is quite extreme

UK policitcs is slightly out of sink with state side politics

soe of the voting in the uK might need a shake

but if you look at the total votes cast for 1 party against another
the conservatives should of won the election - however it does not work that way

in our local elections - the goverement has not even put a candiate up for election in my area - as they know that they will get very little supprt

we have
conversative
libereal demoncrates
and Green

a protest vote is considered LD
a moral vote green
and come the big election 80-85% of my area would conservative

now this is not the same accross the country
but if my area has 70,000
but a labour win area has 40,000 and wins by the same majority
my area votes56,000 for conservatie labour win area votes 32,000 difference

now this has been going on for ages and is not quite right but neither is any of the other systems in place , but I can see a lot of labour votes going over to Greenes,libereal demoncrates and UKIP UK independence party (very few labour votes would go to conservative) although most hard liner labour voters would possible agree that labour has move into conservative values and that there is little difference between these 2 parties

I ramble

g

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
another personal view a women president would be good for the states as would a "black" president, mix em together a black women president would be something great, but I don't think that that is on the agenda for at least 20-30 years

There is a candidate for the US Prez. But he'll fail on 3 counts

1) His middle name is Hussein
2) His last name sounds like Osama
3) he's black.

I can't see the good ol' boys down in Georgia voting for him

The only reason Condo Rice is there is because she's the token black - and she happens to be female so Bush killed 2 birds with one gunshot.

Col

GaryPanic

Local time
Colin

I think your right ...
shame - I know nothing about him
but as you state ..
It would be nice if it wasn't so

mind you
any black , women up for the job here in the UK

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
mind you
any black , women up for the job here in the UK

well they gotta be better than Tony, - as long as they look after the UK and forget about the world stage - I couldn't actually give a toss if they look like a black Mama Cass. (as long as they're British)

Col

GaryPanic

Local time
Hummm

Kinda with you ish
if they are up for the job
then colour, race, creed, sex , or sexual preferences are none of my concern - good at the job then get them in

- I think that mo molem would have made a great leader for the UK - polictics with humor - a tradic shame that she has passed on..
remember I am fromthe south so my noraml alliance would be conservative- but if she was in my consitencey I would give her at least my time - and probably my vote - purely on her personallity

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I wonder if any Americans have any views on the ongoing French presidential elections.

Note to the US posters. - France is a country in Europe - its the big one between the UK and Spain

Col

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Explain please :confused:
old saying "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones". Chavez is a greedy instigative prick that has no business casting derogatory remarks at anyone... even a retarded rube like Dubbie

Bodisathva

Registered User.
Local time
Note to the US posters. - France is a country in Europe - its the big one between the UK and Spain
No kiddin'?:eek: The one with all the smelly, hairy chicks, right?

Invented French-Fries?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
No kiddin'?:eek: The one with all the smelly, hairy chicks, right?

Invented French-Fries?

I merely pointed its location out because a poll a year or so ago in the USA showed that around 70% had no idea where "Europe" was, or indeed any country that made up Europe.

I'm unclear what you mean by "hairy", do you mean underarm hair? - like the American Julia Roberts exhibited?

Unfortunately, I can't find the link.

Col

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom