Gun laws do they work (1 Viewer)

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Today, 11:50
See what happens when you have the ultimate in gun control rather than America's free for all.

Brian

I am not sure I get your point Brian. Are you advocating that would be a good thing for USA to do?

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:50
Dick

My post was not meant to be serious.

It was a play on words. Like Shot, Gunning and Targeted.

Maybe this is Aussie Humor that you don't understand.

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:50
Dick

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 16:50
One of the problems we are having on this thread and I think it reflects the debate in America is that the pro gun lobby see gun control as banning guns, it does not have to be. In an earlier post, way back, I allowed for home defence but not unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition, the post was ignored.

I am saying that the Swiss appear, I have not checked it out, to have strict government control of the gun situation.
They are a small country and you are not, they also probably did not start from where you are now, how you would get to such a position I have no idea, my concern, as much as I have any, is that you are not even prepared to consider it.

By you I don't mean Dick7access.

Brian

Adam Caramon

Local time
To the left facts are not as relevant as attacking the person.

When you provide facts I will be certain to read them. Posting random chain letters you receive from others is not posting facts.

If they can find one little seed in a comment that they can disprove to them it makes everything the person said null and void. If they can find a miss-spelling, or a grammatical error, or one little wrong date, then to them that proves their position is not valid.

Its more a case of people that disagree with you don't want to have to construct your argument for you. We've all come to hold the positions that we do through many years of experience, reading related articles, watching news, etc. If you're trying to make a rational argument for or against something, then do so. Don't ask others to read through random quotes and try to discern what it is you actually mean.

For example I said the mass media doesn’t report the good side. (what I consider good) Well of course they report it, how else would I know about it. The intent was that if it furthers there causes that it’s on the front page, it’s on 24 hours, it’s on for days.

Then why not say that instead of making a blanket statement? Why put the onus on others to read your statement and understand that you mean something other than what you're saying? Again, why make others try to create your argument for you?

We are bombarded with opinions everyday. Do we have time to listen to them all? Of course not. Therefore, how do we decide which opinions are thought-provoking, worth further study, etc? Its those opinions that are communicated clearly, with evidence that backs up the opinions readily available.

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
One of the problems we are having on this thread and I think it reflects the debate in America is that the pro gun lobby see gun control as banning guns, it does not have to be. In an earlier post, way back, I allowed for home defence but not unrestricted access to weapons and ammunition, the post was ignored.

I am saying that the Swiss appear, I have not checked it out, to have strict government control of the gun situation.
They are a small country and you are not, they also probably did not start from where you are now, how you would get to such a position I have no idea, my concern, as much as I have any, is that you are not even prepared to consider it.

By you I don't mean Dick7access.

Brian

As you pointed out here, they didn't start where we are now. I think it's too late to consider this level of control here. There are too many guns circulating around that are not registered.

I do believe we need to take steps on stricter gun control. Why not treat it like a driver's license? Take tests, take psych evals, have a license you have to renew, and you must carry insurance to protect yourself and others. Where is the harm in that?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

Brian

The Swiss do not have an army per se, they have what they call home militia. Men are issued hand guns, some with rifles and a limited amount of ammo, about 50 rounds. The recipients are monitored closely and frequent checks are made to see if the gun has been fired and any ammo missing. Gun control and gun monitoring are very strict in Switzerland.

In 2005 over 10% of swiss households contained handguns, compared to 18% of U.S. households that contained handguns. In 2005 almost 29% of households in Switzerland contained firearms of some kind, compared to almost 43% in the USA.

This info came from Wikipedia, so make of it what you will, but it sounds reasonable to me.

Col

scott-atkinson

I'm with the Witch.......
Local time
Our American friends are too far down the road for any kind of Gun Control.

Their biggest mistake was kicking the English out of their country and declaring their independance...

They could have been sitting around drinking copious amounts of tea and whinging about the weather rather than stockpiling Weapons of Mass Destruction... lol

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Dick

Yup, I miss it. Don't think its a Aussie/Amer thing. I think is more of a dense Dick thing. :eek:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:50
WHY GRAMPS CARRIES A GUN

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!
SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!!!

Switzerland has a requirement of every able bodied male to enlist for military duty when they reach the age of majority (militardienst). Female citizens of Switzerland may apply for optional military service.
In 2007 they ceased issuing weapons and ammunition to every recruit or volunteer.
Hong Kong, Singapore, England & Wales, Chile, New Zealand, Qatar, Azerbaijan, Spain, Denmark, Australia, Ireland, Ukraine, Finland, Poland, Hungary, Germany, Republic of Moldova and Canada all have a lower rate of firearm homicides per 100k population. So unless none of those countries are considered "civilized" or the statement is based on 'all crimes" there is an issue with that statement.

...just saying...

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
There is also plenty of evidence that random crime per capita is higher in countries with gun control, such as the UK. Car jackings, burglaries, and muggings have a higher rate in the UK. Do guns deter would be random crimes in the US? Is it because there is a possibility of gun defense?

Homicides are usually a crime of passion or a targeted offense. My take on it has always been that if someone was after someone, they would use whatever means necessary. Random crimes are a lot more opportunistic.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:50
It will be interesting to see what happens in New York state with their proposed gun control laws. I am happy to hear about the inclusion of the Webster provision.

JGalletta

Windows 7 Access 2010
Local time
A bigger issue, underlying mass shootings and many times unbeknownst to many of us is that ALL of the shooters in mass shootings were on antidepressants that list suicidal and homicidal tendencies as side effects on their labels. Are guns the problem, or is it the drugs these psychos are on?

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
When you provide facts I will be certain to read them. Posting random chain letters you receive from others is not posting.

Adam don't fall of your chair but I agree with a lot of your post. I just don't have time to answer it fully right now, epically since I have to watch my spelling. ;) Right now I am having a fierce battle with a piece of Strawberry cheesecake.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
During the Warsaw uprising the people were armed but still got slaughtered by the professionals, the professionals always win, well except in Vietnam, but then the Viet Cong were a carry over from the Viet Minh so were well used to beating intruders to their country.

Brian

uh uh! Brian, you forget why I drink coffee instead oft tea!!!:p

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
As you pointed out here, they didn't start where we are now. I think it's too late to consider this level of control here. There are too many guns circulating around that are not registered.

I do believe we need to take steps on stricter gun control. Why not treat it like a driver's license? Take tests, take psych evals, have a license you have to renew, and you must carry insurance to protect yourself and others. Where is the harm in that?
Jax you may have something there.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
Is it legal to shoot somebody in your home/on your property without warnong? If so I'm glad I don't live in the States as my passion is walking and I could end up dead because of accidental trespass.

Seriously this guy seemed to be more than a burglar as he appeared to go looking for the family, but why didn't she shout when he first rang the bell that she wasn't going to answer the door but was armed and would shoot, why not dial 911 as soon as he came back to break in.

Brian

She did call 911 through her husband. She probable believed as I do, that deadly force is a last resort.

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
When you provide facts I will be certain to read them. Posting random chain letters you receive from others is not posting facts.
[FONT=&quot](Adam)When you provide facts I will be certain to read them. Posting random chain letters you receive from others is not posting facts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Dick)I agree what I posted is not fact, as we would post something that we trying to prove a point. But it wasn’t posted for that reason. It was posted to show that there are others out there that have a far right prospective of maybe even further right that I am. I even posed that I was not agreeing or disagreeing with everything in the original post. But, them again Adam you don’t have to read it. There is much posted that I will not read or respond to, but I don’t begrudge them posing it. That’s their right, they don’t have to post according to my criteria, nor I yours.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Adam) Its more a case of people that disagree with you don't want to have to construct your argument for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Dick) Your right no one should construct my argument, but I did not post it as an argument nor did I asked them to construct one.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Adam) We've all come to hold the positions that we do through many years of experience, reading related articles, watching news, etc. If you're trying to make a rational argument for or against something, then do so. Don't ask others to read through random quotes and try to discern what it is you actually mean.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Dick) You’re right again Adam each of our views are reached by the sum of our lives which will even enter into our form of debating. Both colleges I went to had a different format for debating. There may be a different format for debating between your country and mine, I don’t know. From my experience it is perfectly normal to put an article out there for discussion and people taking both sides on some aspect.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Dick) For example I said the mass media doesn’t report the good side. (what I consider good) Well of course they report it, how else would I know about it. The intent was that if it furthers there causes that it’s on the front page, it’s on 24 hours, it’s on for days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Adam) Then why not say that instead of making a blanket statement? Why put the onus on others to read your statement and understand that you mean something other than what you're saying? Again, why make others try to create your argument for you?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Dick) I will take 10 whacks on this one Adam. I am guilty of what I accuse others of doing. Since in my far right circle when we hear mass media not reporting it, we automatically understand they are understating or slanting it. I understand that may not be obvious to others.

[/FONT]

Dick7Access

Dick S
Local time
http://stg.do/9LDc
Here is an editorial type story from Paul Harvey over from over 47 years ago. If you’re an atheist don’t bother reading it will have no validity to you. If you think I am putting it out there to debate it, don’t read it. Do I agree with every word, probable not. Overall I do agree that is the biggest problem we have in America and not the implement that is use to kill.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
She did call 911 through her husband. She probable believed as I do, that deadly force is a last resort.

So she did not call 911 as I said. I wonder what she would have done if she had not been able to reach her husband. She does not come across to me as a heroine but as an idiot who panics and should not be allowed anywhere near a gun.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom