Oh the Misery (1 Viewer)

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:32
Now, before I get carried away with my own rant,
Now I understand your beef with this fine American institution, you were thrown out of the cheerleaders squad 50 years ago......................

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 08:32
Now I understand your beef with this fine American institution, you were thrown out of the cheerleaders squad 50 years ago......................

I like chearleaders.

statsman

Local time

Actually, I attended an American college on a football scholarship.
I was paid $60.00 per week. My job was to make sure nobody stole the stadium. I must have done a good job because after 4 years, the stadium was still there.
It was a Division II school and I was most certainly not a star player.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:32
Colleges have the biggest stadiums they could afford at the time they started the project to build those arenas. College football and college basketball tend to attract the college alumni and make excellent opportunities to invite said alumni to help out the old alma mater. The larger the arenas, the more folks they can accomodate at once. The more they accomodate, the better their odds of badgering the alums to donate yet another pretty penny to the college fund.

I believe the whole point of college football, basketball, hockey, baseball, - and even tiddleywinks - has been lost. Originally they were excuses to have kids exercise. But then the "rivalries" started up and things escalated. It might be an unavoidable part of human nature to want to associate, even indirectly, with a team who can make short work of their hated rivals.

Which is why I actually watched the New Orleans Saints try to lose a game against the Atlanta Falcons this Monday. But somehow the Saints managed to hold on to that one. Yes, I admit it - I cheered them on. It is so rare for my home town citizens to have something to brag about. This year, the Saints actually are winning. At the end of the season, odds are pretty good that they will have a good to maybe even decent won/lost record. In which case, half of the citizens of New Orleans will party themselves into a cold stupor. I won't mention the SuperBowl, which is usually a lot of hype anyway. But if the Saints DO make it to the Superbowl, New Orleans will effectively shut down for a day or two.

KenHigg

Local time
...Which is why I actually watched the New Orleans Saints try to lose a game against the Atlanta Falcons this Monday. But somehow the Saints managed to hold on to that one. Yes, I admit it - I cheered them on. ...

Yeah...:mad: I knew we were doomed after the first series :rolleyes:

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Today, 05:32
I believe the whole point of college football, basketball, hockey, baseball, - and even tiddleywinks - has been lost. Originally they were excuses to have kids exercise.

I think I may have gotten to the bottom of the US's obesity problem. (What a big bottom it is?)

Tiddleywinks = exercise ?

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Which is why I actually watched the New Orleans Saints try to lose a game against the Atlanta Falcons this Monday. But somehow the Saints managed to hold on to that one. Yes, I admit it - I cheered them on. It is so rare for my home town citizens to have something to brag about. This year, the Saints actually are winning. At the end of the season, odds are pretty good that they will have a good to maybe even decent won/lost record. In which case, half of the citizens of New Orleans will party themselves into a cold stupor. I won't mention the SuperBowl, which is usually a lot of hype anyway. But if the Saints DO make it to the Superbowl, New Orleans will effectively shut down for a day or two.

Wow, you should be a little more optimistic. I believe the Saints are the only undefeated left. Remember, it could be worse, you could live in Tampa with the 0-7 Bucs and Green Bay next on the schedule!

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Wow, you should be a little more optimistic. I believe the Saints are the only undefeated left. Remember, it could be worse, you could live in Tampa with the 0-7 Bucs and Green Bay next on the schedule!

Or Washington DC

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
Or Washington DC

I used to live up there. I lived in Laurel. The good thing for you, is that you can always root for the Ravens. They at least have always been decent. I think they are 4-4, but I believe they are better then their record suggests. I knew they would beat the Broncos, though I didn't think it would be such a blow-out. I really wanted to watch that game too, but alas, it was not broadcast way down here. Neither are the Capital games either. :( I would love to watch the Caps again. I have marked my calendar for the Lightning vs. Caps in December at the Ice Palace. Can't wait. I'll try to go to that one.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Since I’m a Texas Expatriate, I have always been a Dallas fan.
Now however, I’d like to see Arizona get another chance. I just want to see anyone there but Pittsburg.

KenHigg

Local time
Now however, I’d like to see Arizona get another chance. I just want to see anyone there but Pittsburg.
or New England :rolleyes:

Friday

Registered User.
Local time

Go Pack Go!

statsman

Local time

You're still mad because the Steelers beat the Cowboys twice in the Super Bowl.

By the way, the two championship games the Steelers and Cowboys played in the 1970's are probably the two best Super Bowls ever played. Usually they're either blowouts or "defensive" battles (read boring).

speakers_86

Registered User.
Local time
By the way, the two championship games the Steelers and Cowboys played in the 1970's are probably the two best Super Bowls ever played. Usually they're either blowouts or "defensive" battles (read boring).

I am not old enough to have seen these games, but last years Cardinals and Steelers was awfully good.

correct for once

Thank you for your input on the world series. It is very valuable in this discussion of football and the Super Bowl, and very much appreciated.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:32
When I mentioned the tiddleywinks team, I'm sure should have qualified that as the "intramural" teams. I don't believe tiddleywinks is yet ready for olympic status.

On the other hand, both the USA and England seem to have a pretty good tiddleywanks team. East of the pond, Parliament. West of the pond, Congress. Both a bunch of tiddleywankers. Mark Twain once said it and I'll paraphrase: Nobody's life, liberty, or property are safe when Congress is in session.

Sum Guy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 05:32
I was in the Orange Bowl in Miami in 1970 to see the second Dallas/Pittsburgh Super Bowl.

While I am not a big fan of American football, the game was excellent. It see-sawed back and forth with both teams holding the lead for about the same amount of time.

Late in the final period Pittsburgh scored twice to take the final lead. Dallas did not give up and could have won if they had recovered a short kick.

It was my first and to date only American football game. Most of the fans near me were followers of Pittsburgh and at the end were exclaiming how they wished every game could be this exciting.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
It was my first and to date only American football game. Most of the fans near me were followers of Pittsburgh and at the end were exclaiming how they wished every game could be this exciting.

Well let's face it, they don't have any other exciting sports to compare it with:rolleyes:

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Well let's face it, they don't have any other exciting sports to compare it with:rolleyes:

I think the strategy is lost on fans of simpler minded sports, like hockey, basketball, and soccer.
Which are all basically the same game; lots of tactics but no real strategy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom