Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 19:07
As well as items mentioned previously, Thread Tools are missing as are items like Unanswered Posts, lists of top posters (day/week/month).

Can you post a few screenshots of the old layout to help clarify answers to that question.
Unanswered can be selected in the filter option, but I've only found that for New Posts?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Also can you open an old public thread and show the dropdowns above that...such as Thread Tools

Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want Thread Tools? And if so, what did they do?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want Thread Tools? And if so, what did they do?
I wanted to see a screenshot of each to remind myself what was in each of the dropdowns.
For example, we used to have 'Mark thread as solved which was useful.
What else of value is no longer here?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@isladogs Have you not seen this? Just like thread tools.

1580317667669.png

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Oops again. I've not only seen it, I used it to move something a few days ago.
That's exactly what I meant. Sorry again .

Another method of checking the old site is to make use of the Wayback Machine Internet archive.
The old site was archived over 1000 times with the last archive in Nov 2019
https://web.archive.org/web/20191115091310/https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/

Whilst obviously not fully operational now, its still useful if only to contrast and compare.

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
No worries. Like I said, give it some time and you will find they have everything and a whole ton more on this new software.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Just edited my last reply to mention the Internet archive service which may be of use to some people.

Reactions: Jon

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
If you go to that internet archive link, the first post at the top says, "Site down - out of memory." I remember those days all too well, but they are now history!

1580319458942.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Google didn't like our old site. Here is their report in Google Search Console...

1580320018411.png

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Actually, there were 4 separate types of errors for mobile that led to tens of thousands of errors from Google's perspective.

I'm sending in the fix notifications to Google, since we have now switched software and they fix all of these things.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
@isladogs Have you not seen this? Just like thread tools.

View attachment 78676
Actually on reflection, that's not what I meant. That dropdown is only for moderators to use.
The old Thread Tools allowed all members to manage their own threads including marking them solved.
That is a feature we still need

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Are you sure the old Thread Tools allowed all members to manage their own threads?

All members do not have the permissions to edit threads, such as other peoples posts, make them sticky etc.

Marking threads solved was a plugin.

Dreamweaver

Local time
Actually on reflection, that's not what I meant. That dropdown is only for moderators to use.
The old Thread Tools allowed all members to manage their own threads including marking them solved.
That is a feature we still need
I was looking for that a couple of days ago

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 13:07
OMG, we have 27 users on at once! Is that unusual or does that happen from time to time? Trying to work out if engagement has gone up.
well if the word is getting out Jon, that there are intelligent people lurking around here, more than likely people will start flocking to your site because they know they can learn about a lot of things. And such an event certainly won't hurt you any....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom