Senators Obama, Clinton, Biden and Dodd Vote AGAINST English as our Official Language (1 Viewer)

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 10:25
A while ago, I met this little girl. She was quite smart for a eight years old, and was great kid, too. Didn't speak English at all, but I know that her parents (she's quite lucky to have them) are planning to take her to a special school where she won't be immersed in English, though I'm quite certain that she will learn to read and write English and have no doubt that she will reach the same level of mastery in reading and writing.

Indeed, I wonder how this would work out for her should English be made official language. I know for certain that if I were required to speak English as my only language, I would be a slobbering retard, despite having all aids and assistance available to me.

Freedom to choose a language is far greater than forcing down a language down everyone's throats just because the majority speak it.

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:25
Point well taken, I think the key word was "quite smart".

I guess how I think is if you work/live in the US you should speak english.

Banana

Local time
The trouble is, both the girl and I live in US, and I do work in US. We both are American citizens. Yet we both are extremely unlikely to ever speak English.

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:25
The trouble is, both the girl and I live in US, and I do work in US. We both are American citizens. Yet we both are extremely unlikely to ever speak English.

From everything that I have read, these bills (and there have been many of them), refer to English being the language for Business, Government, and Public School Education. Nowhere have I read that the opportunity to learn English would be unavailable, in fact the reverse has been true, and opportunities to learn have been a part of these bills.

Are you referring to something new that I have not read about?

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Don't you have a hard time communicating with people?

Banana

Local time
From everything that I have read, these bills (and there have been many of them), refer to English being the language for Business, Government, and Public School Education. Nowhere have I read that the opportunity to learn English would be unavailable, in fact the reverse has been true, and opportunities to learn have been a part of these bills.

Are you referring to something new that I have not read about?

I could be mistaken, but I've been under the impression that bills mandating declaration English as official language usually frown on the idea of Bi/Bi curriculum, where kids learn both Spanish and English or something similar to that, incorporating both the culture and languages spoken at home and at school, requiring that English be taught only at school. But as you noted, there are several bills, so I could have been mistaken.

Even granting that possibility, I feel that declaring English as official language may have perverse consequences, and still squelch Bi/Bi curriculum, and limit exposure to the broader world for the kids. As I said before, it should be about the freedom to choose, without any pressures or put in a second-class category.

Don't you have a hard time communicating with people?

Well, when I was a young kid, I worked the salesfloor of a big box store, and was given responsibility of managing the seasonal department during the Holiday rush. Won a customer service award for my work.

Hard, yes, but not impossible. Pen and paper are quite indispensable.

Banana
Which language(s) do you speak?

Brian

None at all.

I do sign in American Sign Language, however. :)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 18:25
None at all.

I do sign in American Sign Language, however. :)

I suspected that, which to me makes your early comments just red herrings, and maybe even self serving in some way.
Any intelligent person realises that the Official Language is just that and people with certain disabilities will not be able speak, read or write that language.

So what point were you trying to make?

Brian

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
So, Sign Language is your way of speaking, if so that is completely different. My most respect for you then.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
. As I said before, it should be about the freedom to choose, without any pressures or put in a second-class category.

How many languages do you want spoken and therfore written in your country, having worked in a charity I've seen the cost of producing information in a miriad of langugeas and the difficulties in providing help to those who don't communicate in English.

Brian

David Eagar

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:25
For better or worse, English is (or will be) the 'world' language. I am just awfully glad I don't have to learn it as an adult or second language

1 mouse, two mice
1 house, two houses ????????? why would anybody have difficulties with this nonesense

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
For better or worse, English is (or will be) the 'world' language. I am just awfully glad I don't have to learn it as an adult or second language

1 mouse, two mice
1 house, two houses ????????? why would anybody have difficulties with this nonesense

1 fish
2 fish

english is quite a lazy - and is still developing
there is a smakering of feminie/masucaline in english compared to other lanuages

blond /blonde blond male/ blonde female (or the other way round)
And sign langauge is fab - i know how to sign talking B*llsh*t and thats about it.

Spanish would probably be the second language

Banana

Local time
I suspected that, which to me makes your early comments just red herrings, and maybe even self serving in some way.

Indeed, my comments was deliberately worded and can be called baiting, because my point was to get everyone to think twice that it doesn't always fit the molding. I hope you won't think it as self-serving, though, because I just want to give a different way of looking at things.

Any intelligent person realises that the Official Language is just that and people with certain disabilities will not be able speak, read or write that language.

So what point were you trying to make?

Brian

I wish that were the case, but this is not. I'm a minority in the minority with regards to education of Deaf- the current mainstream opinion is hours and hours of speech therapy, loads of medical devices, and placement in special education is a consequence of the general thinking that English should be the language to speak/write/read at exclusion of all other languages. It used to be quite common for educators to tell parents that if their child didn't learn to speak and lipread, they would be inferior and left out, yet because they put so much importance on speaking & lipreading, they fell behind in general education anyway and were just as much ostracized, if not worse.

Nowadays, it's now a bit more common for them to advocate "total communication" or similar pattern, where they do allow limited sign vocabulary in hope of ultimately learning to speak & lipread well.

Furthermore, there are numerous studies out there that demonstrate that kids who speak more than one language are more likely to excel in school than not. The idea that having more than one language will confuse the kid is a myth, but is largely perpetrated in US.

How many languages do you want spoken and therfore written in your country, having worked in a charity I've seen the cost of producing information in a miriad of langugeas and the difficulties in providing help to those who don't communicate in English.

Brian

Well, I think that regardless where you go, you'll always find a lingua franca in any location even where there are hundred of languages spoken. I do not think anyone should be obliged to print out languages for everyone, and as late, people has gotten creative in meeting various languages needs. For example, there's a telephone lines where any service agencies can call to get an interpreter for any given language for their clients.

So, I'm really advocating for no official languages *and* no obligations on anyone to provide the translation. I still read and write in English because it is the language used in US, though I don't speak it at all. I'd imagine there are community somewhere where Spanish is predominant, and if they flourish, more power to them. They already know that if they wanted to get access to broader range of services available in US, they may need to speak English, and it's entirely their choice to across the line or not.

Banana

Local time

1 mouse, two mice

To be fair, there is no such thing as 'English'. English as spoken in North American are not same as English as spoken in UK, India, or Australia. Last time I checked, there were probably eight major dialects of English, and they have since developed their own idiosyncrasies that sets it apart from another dialect. For that reason, several Americans would be led to think that Indians speak poor English when they were actually adhering to the rules as understood in India.

I'd argue that to claim that there is only one version of English is to insult the great breadth and depth of language.

But yes, I do agree that English is de facto lingua franca of the world. I forget what the terms linguists uses for it (I'm thinking third language but not sure if that is it) where if two person who do not share their native language, they usually turn to English to communicate.

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:25
Joe8915

Australia is the same

I am lucky to be age 60. If I wasn't 60 I would like to be age 2 or so. I would hate to be 30 to 40 years of age.

Globalisation means massive immigration.......the massive immigration and the way Very Big Business works means the need for creating a pacificist attitude. Hence all the media runs anti gun and pro immigration and Save the Whale stories. There will be trouble and the drive to make everyone have an "aniti gun...save the whale" attitude won't work.

As I said, at age 60 I don't need to worry about learning chinese or whatever. :D

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
Mike.............
At the age of 59, well said

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Joe8915

Australia is the same

I am lucky to be age 60. If I wasn't 60 I would like to be age 2 or so. I would hate to be 30 to 40 years of age.

Globalisation means massive immigration.......the massive immigration and the way Very Big Business works means the need for creating a pacificist attitude. Hence all the media runs anti gun and pro immigration and Save the Whale stories. There will be trouble and the drive to make everyone have an "aniti gun...save the whale" attitude won't work.

As I said, at age 60 I don't need to worry about learning chinese or whatever. :D
It's well known that the elderly don't like change.................that's why the US still hangs on to an old scrap of paper

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
From everything that I have read, these bills (and there have been many of them), refer to English being the language for Business, Government,

How dare they insult our Queen (god bless her) by insinuating that they use her language, disgusting, they should be put on trial for treason:mad:

Joe8915

Registered User.
Local time
It's well known that the elderly don't like change.................that's why the US still hangs on to an old scrap of paper

Yep, Rich I still put my hand over my heart when the American flag passes me. Sure is nice to have something that I can believe in. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom