Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

statsman

Local time
Today, 04:24
Slight correction (again), The Beatles weren't a rock and roll band:rolleyes:

Why do you constantly stop your posts without finishing your point.

If the Beatles were not a rock and roll band, please tell us what you think they were.

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
Thanks for that Stats. If you can pop over, I would love to meet you. It will be a good gig - we've not got much lined up actually now it's approaching winter. We have a gig in a theatre in December then we're off to learn new stuff for next year.

All the band, (except me) have full time jobs, so it's cool that we don't do a huge amount of gigs. It averages one a month or so, which is fine as we can then spend time learning different stuff.

The other band in october is doing the 70's stuff, I'm guessing Slade, T Rex and glam rock numbers.

Col

HMMM I don't wish to insult your friends but I had hoped that Glam Rock had gone the way of disco.

Slade was one of those things that don't travel well. I understand they were huge in their day in the UK but we never heard much of them on this side of the pond.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 09:24
HMMM I don't wish to insult your friends but I had hoped that Glam Rock had gone the way of disco.

Actually, our band and the 70's band have never met. We have no idea whether we are playing first or second. It was all booked by the club, we are booked to play for 1hr 30 mins. Come to think of it, I don't know how much we're getting either - that was arranged by our lead guitarist.

I just hope they are up to our calibre.:)

Col

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Why do you constantly stop your posts without finishing your point.

If the Beatles were not a rock and roll band, please tell us what you think they were.

It's quite simple even for you, The Beatles covered so many styles they simply cannot be pigeon holed in that way

statsman

Local time
It's quite simple even for you, The Beatles covered so many styles they simply cannot be pigeon holed in that way

If you were following the general trend you would realize that we were talking about the EARLY Beatles.
She Loves You
Can't Buy Me Love
I Want To hold Your Hand.

If that's not rock 'n roll, I don't know what is.

Your contention that they had NO STYLE is yet another of your less than illuminating comments:rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 01:24
statsman
Did you see on TVO they ran the movie A Hard Day's Night this evening.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Your contention that they had NO STYLE is yet another of your less than illuminating comments:rolleyes:
Where did I say that they had NO Style, please learn to read correctly:rolleyes:

statsman

Local time
Where did I say that they had NO Style, please learn to read correctly:rolleyes:

You implied it.

Returning to the rest of my post, if you would not describe the EARLY Beatles' music as rock 'n roll, how would you describe it.
I'll keep comig back to this as long as it takes.

puzzled

Access VUP
Local time
You implied it.

Returning to the rest of my post, if you would not describe the EARLY Beatles' music as rock 'n roll, how would you describe it.
I'll keep comig back to this as long as it takes.
And I'll argue for as long as it takes, anyone who lived through the period knows fully that at the time if you wanted rock and roll you followed The Rolling Stones, ( although they didn't start out as such they went on to become the greatest rock and roll band in the World), if you wanted pop you followed The Beatles. The former of course were seen as five minute wonders, the latter got torn apart by jealousy and a Japanese so called artist :rolleyes:

As an aside your statement that rock and roll is making a come back in Canada leads me to conclude that you obviously don't venture very far from home, every time I visited the Canadian town of Banff there were plenty of local rock and roll bands playing in the pubs, great times:cool::p

statsman

Local time
And I'll argue for as long as it takes, anyone who lived through the period knows fully that at the time if you wanted rock and roll you followed The Rolling Stones, ( although they didn't start out as such they went on to become the greatest rock and roll band in the World), if you wanted pop you followed The Beatles. The former of course were seen as five minute wonders, the latter got torn apart by jealousy and a Japanese so called artist :rolleyes:

As an aside your statement that rock and roll is making a come back in Canada leads me to conclude that you obviously don't venture very far from home, every time I visited the Canadian town of Banff there were plenty of local rock and roll bands playing in the pubs, great times:cool::p

Interesting:
My post stated quite specifically that the Beatles were making a comeback in Canada. This is no doubt fuelled by the recent re-release of all of their albums on CD. This has led to the younger folks "rediscovering" the early rock 'n roll artists.
Rock 'n roll has always been around and probably always will be.

Judging the Canadian music scene by Banff would be similar to judging the UK music scene by the Lake District or the US music scene by Aspen.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting:
My post stated quite specifically that the Beatles were making a comeback in Canada. This is no doubt fuelled by the recent re-release of all of their albums on CD. This has led to the younger folks "rediscovering" the early rock 'n roll artists.

quote]

That's not what you actually said

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Interesting:

That's not what you actually said

Stats did refer to The Beatles revival following their CD release. Plus (as you well know) Chuck Berry was a big influence on their music especially in the early years.

Therefore, in conjunction with and prompted by the Beatles revival, youngsters in Canada are exploring other great names of that era - the names we were lucky to have witnessed first hand.

Col

Local time
Today, 03:24
No doubt, the "comeback" of the Beatles is directly related to the release of the new Rock Band video game just a couple of weeks ago (imaginatively titled The Beatles: Rock Band). Rock Band and Guitar Hero have done much to get the youngsters interested in the Rock & Roll (or whatever you want to call it) music we all seem to love (regardless of our semantic disagreements on the same).

It does my heart good that my son and I can both share the same play lists on our iPods (cuts down on expenses).

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Chuck Berry was a big influence on their music especially in the early years.

Col
Yes I know and it's rather ironic that having covered so many classics they still weren't classed as a rock and roll band

statsman

Local time
Yes I know and it's rather ironic that having covered so many classics they still weren't classed as a rock and roll band

Only by you it seems. :rolleyes:

If you go back and check the Billboard listings in the early 60's, the Popular charts were filled with artists like Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and the like. The Beatles were listed on the Rock 'n Roll charts until about 1967. At that time the Rock 'n Roll chart was replaced by the Rock chart. Most of the Beatles post 67 songs were listed on both the Popular and the Rock charts (known in the business as "crossover").
I do agree that their later music (starting with the Rubber Soul album) did not fit into any easily recognized category.

Last edited:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 01:24
And that is where you will find the Beatles if you are purchasing the music on vinyl, tape, digital and digital formats - listed under Rock n Roll

Only by you it seems. :rolleyes:

If you go back and check the Billboard listings in the early 60's, the Popular charts were filled with artists like Andy Williams, Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, and the like. The Beatles were listed on the Rock 'n Roll charts until about 1967. At that time the Rock 'n Roll chart was replaced by the Rock chart. Most of the Beatles post 67 songs were listed on both the Popular and the Rock charts (known in the business as "crossover").
I do agree that their later music (starting with the Rubber Soul album) did not fit into any easily recognized category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom