Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 07:18
Personally I like "Things we said today" - we did it in a studio, it took ages, it's double tracked. We all did our bit separately, I played drums on that one too. Then I sang it and re-sang it with myself to do the double tracking - our lead guitar man does the harmonies. We double tracked it because I have a weak singing voice and it needed a bit more body.

Johnny B Goode is one of the first bass lines I learnt - it's a 12 bar rock n roll one which fits to virtually any song of that genre. In the 60's we used to call it a three chord trick - because there are only three chords. Many songs use the three chords - virtually all rock n roll stuff and most of Status Quo stuff is three chords.

The songs listed earlier are somewhat more complex to learn, but it's nice to try. If you subscribe to my YouTube name then you'll get automatic notification when something new is posted.

Col

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 02:18
I'm impressed.
I knew you played, I didn't realize you also sang.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I'm impressed.
I knew you played, I didn't realize you also sang.

There's alot we have to catch up on when we meet up. It may take some hours. . . . . .

Col

KenHigg

Local time
The youtube clips where pretty cool - Love the older tunes...

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
I'll have to write these down.

Taxman
Lady Madonna
I should have known better
She's a woman
I'm looking through you

I'll start work on them when I come back from hols. I hope people do look at my YouTube stuff:rolleyes:

Col

When I'm Sixty-Four

My wife and I call it our "theme song" and always have.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
When I'm Sixty-Four

My wife and I call it our "theme song" and always have.

Excellent song.
I love it too.

That really is what it's all about. Isn't it?
When the bloom of youth has faded..... What holds you together?

It had better be something!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Excellent song.
I love it too.

That really is what it's all about. Isn't it?
When the bloom of youth has faded..... What holds you together?

It had better be something!

We celebrated our ruby wedding this year and courted for 6 years before marrying, and are closer now than ever. The bloom and passion of youth can't hold a candle to real love.

Brian

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
We celebrated our ruby wedding this year and courted for 6 years before marrying, and are closer now than ever. The bloom and passion of youth can't hold a candle to real love.

Brian

We've been together 35 years next month and I so agree! Recently we have played Harvest Moon each time we handfast. (by the way it's not necessary to do a handfasting every year, it's more or a renewal of our love before the Gods ;))

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
If I was still in Massachusetts, where I grew up, and still a teenager, I would say, "That's wicked awesome!"

But I am a grown woman, living in Florida now. So I will respond thusly:

That's lovely. I have never seen a handfasting ceremony. Sounds wonderful.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I see Bobby still hasn´t had the nerve to reply to my question yet. I really thought Americans had a stronger backbone than just to ignore a polite simple question.

Are all Americans so impolite? I think they must be. I thought they were made of stronger stuff than that.

Don´t worry Bob, I´ll keep asking ´till I get a reply. Better still, switch on your PM and we can do this privately.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Any chance of a reply today Bob. . . please?

I´m not around for a few days so it´ll be nice to get this outstanding issue wrapped up.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hi Bob, I see you're in. Can you reply to my question please? Thanks.

Col

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
HI Col

I took a look at your vids, I've been playing bass 45 years and I wouldn't dream of posting a tutorial video - that's seriously brave!:eek:

On the tech side it's good to see you clearly using all four fingers of the left hand, especially including the little finger, as that is the one lesson I was given when I started playing. It enables smooth fingering in a single position over four frets as nicely demonstrated by you and should be worked on by every beginner.

Good stuff.

By the way guys think of me this Saturday evening - my band is playing an open air gig! Late September England - we must be nuts....Now where can I get some of those fingerless gloves?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Thanks Barry. I'm learning some more to post!

Good luck tonight.

We have a gig on the 17th Oct in Clacton Football club. Should be good it's a 60's and 70's night with us and another band doing it.

Col

statsman

Local time
We have a gig on the 17th Oct in Clacton Football club. Should be good it's a 60's and 70's night with us and another band doing it.

Col

We'll all be there to heckle and jeer.
Just kidding.

Good luck on your gig. My brother (a drummer) also plays in a part-time 60s 70s band. In the last 6 months they've actually had to turn down work.

This Beatles revival has been great for business and a lot of the younger folk are beginning to enjoy the earlier days of rock and roll.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Just kidding.

This Beatles revival has been great for business and a lot of the younger folk are beginning to enjoy the earlier days of rock and roll.
Slight correction (again), The Beatles weren't a rock and roll band:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The Beatles did sing some rock n roll stuff though. Their version of Long Tall Sally is a classic.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just kidding.

Good luck on your gig.

Thanks for that Stats. If you can pop over, I would love to meet you. It will be a good gig - we've not got much lined up actually now it's approaching winter. We have a gig in a theatre in December then we're off to learn new stuff for next year.

All the band, (except me) have full time jobs, so it's cool that we don't do a huge amount of gigs. It averages one a month or so, which is fine as we can then spend time learning different stuff.

The other band in october is doing the 70's stuff, I'm guessing Slade, T Rex and glam rock numbers.

Col

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom