New forum look - opinions please (1 Viewer)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:35
Can we have your opinions please on the following new look for the forum:

http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/testgraphics/red/forum.html

Rate the current look out of 10 and the proposed new look. This will give us an idea of what you like the most.

Also, can you rate (out of 10) the logo?

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 11:35
Current : 6
New look : 7

Logo : 5. Looks like the waiting room at my dentist. I do not see the relation between a chair and access ?

Groundrush

Registered User.
Local time
Current: 4
New Look: 8

rak said:
Current : 6
Looks like the waiting room at my dentist. I do not see the relation between a chair and access ?

You havn't seen how long it takes for some of my queries to run, you certainly need to sit down & wait :D :

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Current 6

New 8

Looks "smoother"

Logo...Okay...Quiet as not "In your Face" which is quite good. Would agree that chair seems inappropriate...Maybe something indication Information Management...Not sure what that would be but maybe there will be some suggestions

Len

nikkypickles

Total Novice
Local time
Current: 5
New: 8
Logo: 6
Um...I more or less assumed the logo was the access square with the stethoscope attached?!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 11:35
Len Boorman said:
...Maybe something indication Information Management...

Maybe a drawer with files or something ?

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:35
current: 4.5
- bland; unimaginative; (yet) functional.
--------------------------------------------
new 6.0
- i like the style but i'm not much into the chairs either.
logo (i, too, assume it's the stethoscope): 5
- reminds me of an anti-virus product.
- i have trouble with both the current look and the new in terms of overall effect. i'm not sure exactly why but i think it seems too much like a microsoft site, yet, at the same time, it very obviously isn't. i think there is too much emphasis on the Access logo and not enough on an original identity. the site doesn't seem independent enough.
- i also think there is too much emphasis on 'Help', even though the site is more than that: it's not just help, it's discussion, it's rants, Q & A, etc.
- Access Central would be more apt.
- Central Access [?]
- focus less on the MS Access logo and create something new. make it your own, not theirs. include the word database(s) somewhere.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
I'm happy with the current, functionality is everything on this type of Forum. My only request is that you maintain the current Font, I had to give up on another forum when in the process of "improving" the site the font size was reduced. ok not everybody is as blind as a bat but I was not the only one to complain.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The new one is ok, a bit Microsoft(ish) - maybe rate a 7. The chair is odd:confused: I'm not good at logo's so don't know what to suggest:eek:

I like the current site as its very functional, you can see most things you want on one opening page. I agree with Brian about font size. I vote 8 for current.
Don't lose things like "New Posts" or having the auto refresh in the "who's logged on" page, that page is a good page to "park"

Col

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Today, 02:35
Current site: 5
New site: 6

Logo: Same as above comments on the chair.

The new look has promises, but need some tweaking on the color; I can't quite describe it but it looks "washed out". Fonts is too thin, and I'd second Brianwarnock's comment on fonts: I can read the new fonts, but I don't want to strain my eyes in doing so.

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:35
The look maybe updated, but:
1 - How does it perform? If it gets slower (like Micorosft stuff is faster) that would not be good.
2 - Functionality, this is pretty nice for searching, selecting searches, that kind of thing.
3 - Sometimes a fancy look make it's harder to see things. The message headers here are easy to to view, there are a decent amount on one screen, no excess scrolling or paging to find stuff or see current posts.
4 - Does it work with browsers other than IE?

Not that I opposed to change, I am opposed when it looks fancier, but harder to use which I find the case with a lot of Microsoft web products.

Current 4 for looks, 9 for functionality
New 6 for looks, ? for functionality

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
i agree with the last few posts that the functionality of the site is very (most) important for a site like this. this site works very well IMHO. be careful with fixing something that ain't broke. i think a lot of credit goes to vBulletin [?].

one of the very best features here, for me, is the tooltip that shows several lines of a post without opening the post!!! that saves me a lot of time, personally, and it drives me nuts to not have it if i go to another site (which i rarely do, in part because that feature is lacking!).

(i would love to see another 'Forum Jump' cboBox at the top of the page, perhaps beside 'Post Reply'.)

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Forum functionality would not change. It is just the look of the header. Point taken about the chairs. So any alternative to the filing cabinet suggestion as the graphic on the right?

Also agree regarding the tabs that the font is a bit thin.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
I think the logo is quite clever; points have already been made about the chair but ultimately I think it's fine. It's simple, the color scheme is nice, and it's not cliche.

Overall, I think the new header would make the forums a little less generic looking, but honestly I don't think it would matter much what you put up there.

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
For me the issue isn't looks, it is functionality, I can read everything on this present forum very well which is good, however sometimes it doesn't seem to operate Quickly which is bad!

Is it being backed up now? I would hate to think we would lose all this hard work!

CraigDolphin

GrumpyOldMan in Training
Local time
old look ~6
new look ~6.5
new look replacing chairs with OldSoftBoss's Avatar....Priceless! :D

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
if not chairs, would a pic of some tables be too obscure?? :)

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
One major problem with the new design - an awful lot of space is taken up before the "Content"£ section kicks in - will this mean scrollong on virtually every page that loads which will be a pain in the arse.

If it can be done without the chair graphic and so recalim some space - great.

wazz

Super Moderator
Local time
i agree with paul. drives me a bit nuts when headers are too tall. good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom