Our new home - post your opinions here (2 Viewers)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:51
Just to actually do something useful here, the issue with quoting something explicitly other than through replying to it is easy.

Look in the menu bar above the text area when you are posting. On that bar counting from the left, item 12 is an ellipsis with a down-triangle. (It's next to the emoticon option.) If you drop down from the ellipsis (...) one of the options is to "Insert Quote." You can insert other things, some of which are new to me because they weren't used on The Mind Tavern, Jon's first Xenforo forum. But that is pretty much the same as the quote feature on the old forum.

moke123

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 00:51
Not sure if anyone else ever had this problem on the old site but if your tried to make a shortcut to the new post page I was always taken to a generic page and then would have to click on new posts.

I'm happy to see my new shortcut takes you right to the new posts.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:51
I expect the same could be said if you have a parrot? :D

Especially if its like the parrot in my local who greets all strangers with "You're a w**ker"
May change my strapline to Norwegian Blue in line with my current Monty Python signature quotes.

For bonus points: Who or what was Spiny Norman and what did he say?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Not sure if anyone else ever had this problem on the old site but if your tried to make a shortcut to the new post page I was always taken to a generic page and then would have to click on new posts.

I'm happy to see my new shortcut takes you right to the new posts.
This was my shortcut for New posts (always my way of going to the site)
Code:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/search.php?do=getnew
That still takes me to a url that adjusts for the number for new posts, though the old site was slightly different
Code:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/whats-new/posts/333/
A minute or so later it becomes
Code:
https://www.access-programmers.co.uk/forums/whats-new/posts/336/

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
For bonus points: Who or what was Spiny Norman and what did he say?
I confess I had to google that. Hedgehog and Dinsdale

My first thought for spiny would have been a spiny lobster :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
To be honest, I am not sure what a hash identifier does.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Colin, regarding your problems with videos, and the dog barking! If you use screencast-o-matic - it's $1.65 a month. You can edit the audio, you can edit out sections, put sections back in. If you get into the Habit of recording short 5-minute sections of video, you can easily join them together to make a Longer video, then edit the result to smoothly link everything together. This is particularly beneficial if you want to add a beginning and an Ending sequence to your video.

Thanks. I use Blueberry Screen Recorder software https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html?msclkid=4b2b273fcd2d1f2bfd4679136788b9e9. It has similar functionality which I've made use of on many occasions. However, Isla has a gift for making it almost impossible to edit her out. Often easier to start again

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I confess I had to google that. Hedgehog and Dinsdale

My first thought for spiny would have been a spiny lobster :)

Correct. You now have part of the answer for my second security challenge! 👏

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Thanks. I use Blueberry Screen Recorder software https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html?msclkid=4b2b273fcd2d1f2bfd4679136788b9e9. It has similar functionality which I've made use of on many occasions. However, Isla has a gift for making it almost impossible to edit her out. Often easier to start again
Now that is neat. Paste url direct, and you get a preview. use the link icon and you just get the url and text as per the old software.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/index.html?msclkid=4b2b273fcd2d1f2bfd4679136788b9e9

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 23:51
To be honest, I am not sure what a hash identifier does.
more than likely it was included in the package you bought, Jon. It's a security measure more than likely, just to be safe. Hashes are only used for security. I've never known any other purpose. Salts are also used, but only by people who are paranoid like government entities. =)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Ok, good to know.

I've just thought of something. We don't have a Similar Threads feature here. Is that useful?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time