Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:04
I do miss the "Number of Views" page, the daily, weekly, monthly and total!

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:04
that can't be true, Paul. Because 2 people are following me. One is the arab gentleman I helped earlier today and the other one is Richard. And neither of them were on my friends list on the old software platform.

You were on my "contacts" list, though. It was the only way on the old forum to send a PM - via "Friends" or "Contacts."

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You were on my "contacts" list, though. It was the only way on the old forum to send a PM - via "Friends" or "Contacts."
and now you're following me? even after your anger to me was shown earlier today? that must've been a serious misstep by me.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Third vote for version 2.

I rarely use the Forums page in the above pictures as I just click on What's New.
However, I agree about putting the latest posts at the top as that's the most useful part of the right hand section.

Whilst I do like much of the new layout, there do seem to be fewer posts on the screen at a time than with the old software.
Is it possible to slightly reduce font size or item spacings to reduce the amount of scrolling needed in a long thread?
Seems to be 20 of everything.?
Even when a signature makes a post very deep, we still get 20 posts?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Let me set the stage - when it comes to social media, I am the poster boy for 'clueless' .
If the same person "follows" you in this and a similar forum, does that mean I have a fan?

Or am I being stalked? I laughed when that thought came to me, but it made me realize that I don't grasp the meaning of it. Surely this person doesn't regard me as someone noteworthy or all that knowledgeable in Access such that I warrant following, because that person is no Access dummy for sure. Regardless of the reason (which I suppose only that person can divulge) what is the meaning of "following" someone from the perspective of a forum? Maybe I ought to reciprocate if I respect their knowledge (I do)? Or will that appear as reciprocation just for the sake of it?
I have marked several members as Follow, expecting that I would see when they had made a post?

Edit: Those followed appear in my News Feed ?

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
testing all sorts of tags here, per the forum's FAQ page:

[ code ]
Code:
select * from table

[ code = rich ]
Rich (BB code):
select * from table

[ code = php]
PHP:
$email = $_POST['email'];
$sql = 'select * from table';

[ code = javascript]
JavaScript:
var counter;
var ret = 0;
for (counter = 0; counter < 10; counter++) {
   ret = ret + counter;
      }
    return ret;

[ icode ]
this is inline code written inside a sentence

Jon, I'm still in favor of getting those color-coded VBA tags! :)

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@Uncle Gizmo Are you referring to the top posters page?

Regarding the follows feature, zoom out a little and look at all the different kind of forums out there. Some might have "gurus" - for example - that have a particularly high skill in a niche. There could be groupies :)D) that hang off their every word. They don't want to miss any advice they dole out. Perhaps that is one area it might be useful.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just to give you an idea of how bad my old host were, I submitted a ticket saying I want to cancel my hosting with them. It has been about 5 days now and no reply. They are utterly useless.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Just to give you an idea of how bad my old host were, I submitted a ticket saying I want to cancel my hosting with them. It has been about 5 days now and no reply. They are utterly useless.
check out my complaint about goDaddy, Jon:

https://hostadvice.com/hosting-company/godaddy-reviews/

I have found now through the years that all hosting companies are the same way. At least that's what I've seen. It's an epidemic apparently.

Attachments

• godaddy_review_on_host_review.jpg
    godaddy_review_on_host_review.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 180

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I've used Godaddy in the past and everything was really clunky. And their domain management website is slow as anything.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
I've used Godaddy in the past and everything was really clunky. And their domain management website is slow as anything.
they use a lot of asynch software on their website, Jon. But it's obviously nothing like what you have just implemented, because this new software of yours is literally the fastest running website I've ever been on.

Reactions: Jon

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
You should try dealing with BT. When I was working, it took them 7 months to transfer a phone system from one company to another. :D

As long as you are still not paying for it. That is the main thing.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Well, currently I am still paying. I asked them to stop taking payments but no reply. They just can't be bothered.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Stop the DD. That will get their attention. :D

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I have a time crunch going on. Need to sort end of year tax and accounts, get ads up here, stop forum spam registrations, stop ex hosts from nicking more money from me, and a whole host of other things.

bob fitz

AWF VIP
Local time
Hi Jon. I have to say that the mobile experience now is a huge improvement 🙂.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Yeah, I totally agree with you. They did a fabulous job with the mobile responsiveness. It makes it very usable. Perhaps that will increase engagement, as people can use the site much more easily while on the go.

I do notice though that when you hit the Access World logo while using mobile that it takes people to the site homepage, rather than the forum homepage. I need to fix that.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
There you go Uncle, do you feel better now?

1580128296918.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom