Our new home - post your opinions here (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Yesterday, 18:45
Do you think we should move the Staff Online widget to below Latest Posts? I am wondering if this will improve usability a little.
are you talking about the "whos online" page, Jon? Personally, I think that thing under this new system is not so great because you have to look at 5 different pages to find *everybody* that's online, sectioned out by type of viewer. and by "latest posts", do you mean "new posts"? I don't see "latest" anywhere on my screens. where's it at?

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 00:45
Do you think we should move the Staff Online widget to below Latest Posts? I am wondering if this will improve usability a little.
Seems OK where it is.?
Can you shrink the profile posts and increase the latest posts.?

This keeping the text in the editor is a really nice feature when you have to go off to check something. (y)

Last edited:

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
I'm still undecided on the widgets locations and sizes. I was thinking that I find Latest Posts really handy and use it all the time, but I never really use the Staff Online thing.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just turned 1.5K into 1,500 for the index page. Which format do you prefer?

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Version 1:

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 19.48.37.png

Version 2:

Screenshot 2020-01-26 at 19.49.38.png

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
version 2, no question. more informative.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Third vote for version 2.

I rarely use the Forums page in the above pictures as I just click on What's New.
However, I agree about putting the latest posts at the top as that's the most useful part of the right hand section.

Whilst I do like much of the new layout, there do seem to be fewer posts on the screen at a time than with the old software.
Is it possible to slightly reduce font size or item spacings to reduce the amount of scrolling needed in a long thread?

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:45
I'll abstain. Version 2 is more accurate, but "busier". I don't pay attention to those values anyway.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
@isladogs I think it is a playoff between readability and scrolling. I want to leave it to the Xenforo designers original intentions as I believe they are likely to have done research on this. In fact, Google even factors these sorts of things now. In Google Search Console, it talks about text being too small on mobile etc.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:45
Let me set the stage - when it comes to social media, I am the poster boy for 'clueless' .
If the same person "follows" you in this and a similar forum, does that mean I have a fan?

Or am I being stalked? I laughed when that thought came to me, but it made me realize that I don't grasp the meaning of it. Surely this person doesn't regard me as someone noteworthy or all that knowledgeable in Access such that I warrant following, because that person is no Access dummy for sure. Regardless of the reason (which I suppose only that person can divulge) what is the meaning of "following" someone from the perspective of a forum? Maybe I ought to reciprocate if I respect their knowledge (I do)? Or will that appear as reciprocation just for the sake of it?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
It appears to me that the "Following" list is the "Friends" list in the old software.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Looking at my list, it seems to be the old Friends and Contacts lists combined.
It includes several people who contacted me asking to be added to that list as well as those I contacted first.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
It appears to me that the "Following" list is the "Friends" list in the old software.
that can't be true, Paul. Because 2 people are following me. One is the arab gentleman I helped earlier today and the other one is Richard. And neither of them were on my friends list on the old software platform.

Micron

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 19:45
IIRC, a friendship invitation required a response (accept or not) but this doesn't. I suppose it could be a new version of friending.

If it was just a carry over of some old functionality as Isladog's suggests, I wouldn't have been notified here and elsewhere today, right? I'm looking at it as if it was a conscious decision. So if it's not just carry over, then the questions about the social aspects remain for me.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Friendship requests did need to be reciprocated. Contacts could be done in isolation if that's the right phrase.
I've actually deleted a lot of people from my list today who I've no memory of ever having contacted or been contacted by.
I don't think Following really means anything of any consequence

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
that can't be true, Paul. Because 2 people are following me. One is the arab gentleman I helped earlier today and the other one is Richard. And neither of them were on my friends list on the old software platform.

Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. I didn't use either feature (Friends and Contacts) much. The people that show as "Following" me look like the "Friends" I had. I'm not sure I had any contacts, and given what you say the new software may be adding people based on some other criteria. As Micron suggests, the old Friends list needed a response from the invitee to be valid.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
marquisite seems to be on point. not a bad feature, I guess. If people are interested in what you have to say, apparently they will automatically get alerts when you post something new, regardless if it is a response to a post or a thread initiation. right, Jon?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I'm fairly sure the list is the people you are 'following' ...not those who are following you
If you could see that list, they would be 'followers'

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom