Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 09:05
I'm actually known for correcting people's spelling.
I'm never rude about it, of course and they do seem to take it well.

I work with a diverse ethnicity of people.

Ronny is Korean. I taught him how to spell jalapeno just last week. He thought it was Halopenyo. :)

And Andreas is Greek. He freely admits to having to look up words I use. I forget English is not his first language as he speaks it so beautifully.

And Yeggy is Indian. She comes to me all the time with questions like "Tess, what exactly is a banana hammock?" or "Tess, what is a schlong?"

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Hi Tess I was just about to write a correction as all info I can find gives 2 words, and when I write it free hand I write in spite of

In spite of = despite.

sorry for the missinfo.

Brian

That is perfectly fine. I was willing to believe anything you told me.
:)

Now, where IS that fool?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 14:05
Tess
On my recent birthday Hazel, my better half, sent me a suberb card.
on the outside it said
To the man who has everything.
on the inside
From the woman who spends her life helping him find it.

Half an hour later I couldn't find my mobile 'phone, I'm sure she hides things.

Got to go now and finish packing, off to Sicily tomorrow, see y'all

Brian

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
:D

That is brilliant!
As tempting as your proposal is, I'd stick with Hazel if I were you.
She sounds wonderful and I tend to misplace my keys quite often.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If that were truly the policy I imagine you and a couple of others would have be banned. I've noticed several people take offense to your posts.

How people (especially Americans) interpret a post is entirely up to them. My posts never contain foul language aimed on a personal level (as Americans seem to resort to).

If my and Rich's posts are not in line with the US government brainwashing techniques, but instead indicate a truer perspective and view of the more accurate situation, surely it is up to the reader to decide which to believe.
A differing opinion does not necessarily indicate a bad person, merely one who has the intelligence to view and comment in a slightly different way, as opposed to the tunnel vision views of many who post here.

One does have to wonder though how long the US government can go on conning the US populace.

Col

statsman

Local time
One does have to wonder though how long the US government can go on conning the US populace.

Col

How long has the British government been conning the British populace?
Over here we are relative newcomers to the art but our govenments have a model to follow. :D

Last edited:

statsman

Local time
Would that include the foul language and insults hurled at us by Americans especially when we pointed out the lies surrounding Bush, seems that only Republicans are to be allowed to post, bit like the US itself eh:rolleyes:

Ah yes, the famous "He started it" defence. :D

Republicans are famous for making a lot of noise, except at election time when most Americans seem to vote Democrat. Both Houses of Congress are generally controlled by the Democrats. Under a two party system, you have to let the Republicans in once in a while. Mores the pity. Remember, it was a rare Republican controlled Congress that passed the Patriot Act and gave President Bush carte blanche to wage war against Afghanistan and Iraq.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
In America, we use two separate words, in and spite. If it is the same across the pond, then Col, why did you not point this out to him as a friend? I'm certain you do not wish him to become a slovenly user of the language!

Spacebarnotworking:D

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Spacebarnotworking:D

Completely acceptable excuse.
:)

I just wasn't certain if it was a mistake or not.
Your language is a bit different than ours. You use "u" and "s" in places we do not. We've dropped some ... what is the plural of U... U's? (Yews?) ... and replaces S's (Esses?) with Z's (Zees?) so I can never be certain if I've missed yet another anomaly.

Although I do appreciate and love the Queen's English... or is it the King James version... not sure...nevertheless, my first language is American English. And in whichever language we wish to communicate, I think we are successful in getting our points across.

Now, will someone please correct me on my use of ellipses? The only thing I was ever taught was that there were to be in threes. However, I use them as I please. I think of them as "pauses". A comma is too short of a pause It doesn't give the sentence that PUNCH. I try to write as I speak. Therefore, if I use an extended ellipsis of 4 or 5 or 6. 7. or even 8 dots, it's just to reflect the length of the pause.

I'm certain it is not grammatically correct. But even though it is not grammatically correct, do they do the job of at least attempting to communicate the tempo and timbre of my voice? And if not, how would you communicate an extended pause?

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:05
hahaha I look up lots of words but mostly the english words because it is a fickle language... that and also I thought jalapeno was pronounced the way you spell the word :eek:

I'm actually known for correcting people's spelling.
I'm never rude about it, of course and they do seem to take it well.

I work with a diverse ethnicity of people.

Ronny is Korean. I taught him how to spell jalapeno just last week. He thought it was Halopenyo. :)

And Andreas is Greek. He freely admits to having to look up words I use. I forget English is not his first language as he speaks it so beautifully.

And Yeggy is Indian. She comes to me all the time with questions like "Tess, what exactly is a banana hammock?" or "Tess, what is a schlong?"

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
hahaha I look up lots of words but mostly the english words because it is a fickle language... that and also I thought jalapeno was pronounced the way you spell the word :eek:

omg. That is great.
yes, Ronny's spelling correctly represents the pronounciation of jalapeno as "halopenyo.... penyo pronounced the same as Pinot as in pinot noir.

Not that I am a great fan of Pinot., My husband is though.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Firstly you need to identify which version of Spanish is being used here with the word 'jalapeno'.

In European Spanish (Castillian) the "j" is pronounced as an "h" and depending on whether there is a tilda over the letter "n" is the decider in how to pronounce the "n".

In South American Spanish, the "j" is pronounced as a "j" (like in the word Japan), the same rule applies to the tilda over the "n" as per the Castillian.

So you can have "jalapeño" (with a tilda) pronounced "halapenyo" or if in South America it is pronounced "jalapenyo".

If there is no tilda then the "yo" bit is not spoken but you would say "peno".

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 06:05
I was saying ja LAP ino with the accent on the LAP, then I was told how to pronounce it as hala PINyo and no one near here knew what the heck I was talking about :eek: well until I told them I was talking about jalapino peppers :)

We do not consume alcohol so I would not be able to comment on the taste of a pinot noir.

omg. That is great.
yes, Ronny's spelling correctly represents the pronounciation of jalapeno as "halopenyo.... penyo pronounced the same as Pinot as in pinot noir.

Not that I am a great fan of Pinot., My husband is though.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I was saying ja LAP ino with the accent on the LAP, then I was told how to pronounce it as hala PINyo and no one near here knew what the heck I was talking about

I'm not surprised. I'd stick to Canadian American if I were you.

Col

statsman

Local time
I'm not surprised. I'd stick to Canadian American if I were you.

Col

Fity's first language is Quebecois, the dominant French version in Canada. We also have Acadian (mostly in the Maritimes) and Metis (mostly in Western Canada).
If all anglos in Canada could speak French as well as Fifty speaks English, many of our national unity problems would be solved.
Writing English is a far greater problem than speaking it if its your second language. There are some pretty tough spelling problems (knife for example) in addition to a uniquely Canadian problem...do you spell it the American way or the British way (labor/labour centre/center).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Fity's first language is Quebecois, the dominant French version in Canada. We also have Acadian (mostly in the Maritimes) and Metis (mostly in Western Canada).
If all anglos in Canada could speak French as well as Fifty speaks English, many of our national unity problems would be solved.
Writing English is a far greater problem than speaking it if its your second language. There are some pretty tough spelling problems (knife for example) in addition to a uniquely Canadian problem...do you spell it the American way or the British way (labor/labour centre/center).

That's why I was hinting he steer clear from Spanish. It seems that he has enough to cope with as you so eloquently pointed out.

BTW, why should Anglo's speak French? Surely French is a most insignificant language in Canada, I would have thought English (albeit tainted by the Yanks) is the dominant one. Wouldn't it be better to abandon the French and all speak English? If one wants to speak French, then go to France, why try to hoist it on to people who don't want it. Canada is a British commonwealth country, not some hanger-on from France.

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
What's Pinot? :confused:
Rich, I am surprsed that a man of your culture and refinement had temporarily forgotten that Pinot is a variety of grape used in make Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom