Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 15:24
How long has the British government been conning the British populace?
Over here we are relative newcomers to the art but our govenments have a model to follow. :D
Someone once stated "You can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time."

However it seems you can fool too many of the people too much of the time.

The tabloid press here in the UK seem to be pretty good at fooling people.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Rich, I am surprsed that a man of your culture and refinement had temporarily forgotten that Pinot is a variety of grape used in make Pinot Noir and Pinot Grigio
Must be one of the low alcoholic varieties:D

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think Bob is more interested in getting to the Access questions first as it gives the impression he is so clever.
Sadly, I have heard now from several others here who are upset about his tactics but won't report it because on these forums if you say a word out of line, you get the post deleted or you get banned.

Isn't it lovely on weekends to see other people answering questions and queries instead of the usual one.
You can tell who's not online just by looking at the new posts section without referring to the who's online part.

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 07:24
The hardest language to learn is English, not just because of the structure of the language but also because of the unilingual culture of a lot of the people who have it as their native tongue. People need to understand other cultures and learn part of other people’s languages in order to be effective. Hoping the world will switch to English on a wholesale basis is foolhardy, many of the new economic base countries have learned English only as a means to compete for market share and further their business. It is not their domestic working language, so in order to be effective you need to know what they are saying around you and not just to you. Thinking other people will understand what you are trying to communicate to them by repeating yourself louder and slower is ignorant as a tourist and devastating in business. English does not even come close to the most spoken language in the world. Perhaps people need to think about learning another language even if it is for personal enrichment and not just for future business endeavors.

Fity's first language is Quebecois, the dominant French version in Canada. We also have Acadian (mostly in the Maritimes) and Metis (mostly in Western Canada).
If all anglos in Canada could speak French as well as Fifty speaks English, many of our national unity problems would be solved.
Writing English is a far greater problem than speaking it if its your second language. There are some pretty tough spelling problems (knife for example) in addition to a uniquely Canadian problem...do you spell it the American way or the British way (labor/labour centre/center).

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If people live in a country, whether they are born there or not it does not matter, they should learn the main language of that country. If I lived in France (God forbid) then I would learn French, not only to communicate with the local Gauls but being arrogant Frogs, they would refuse to speak to me in English.

If people want to hang on to a small pocket of another language out of sheer bloodymindedness, then within the family is ok. But not for general use outside.

All this rubbish about roadsigns in two languages etc.etc. is just stupid.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Isn't it lovely on weekends to see other people answering questions and queries instead of the usual one.
You can tell who's not online just by looking at the new posts section without referring to the who's online part.

Col

Hmmm, I see he's back again getting to the questions first.

Col

statsman

Local time
Today, 10:24
If people live in a country, whether they are born there or not it does not matter, they should learn the main language of that country. If I lived in France (God forbid) then I would learn French, not only to communicate with the local Gauls but being arrogant Frogs, they would refuse to speak to me in English.

If people want to hang on to a small pocket of another language out of sheer bloodymindedness, then within the family is ok. But not for general use outside.

All this rubbish about roadsigns in two languages etc.etc. is just stupid.

Col

Col:
I am suprised at you poor knowledge of Canada.

Canada was founded as a bilingual and bicultural country. By law English and French have equal standing.

French people in Canada have a right to their language and their culture regardless of where they live in Canada. If they are travelling in Mexico (for example) they have no such right and any reasonable person would expect the natives to speak Spanish. The bloodyminded bit may be to pull up at a gas station in the middle of nowhere in France and expect the attendant to speak English.

For a closer example of road signs in two languages, take the ferry to Belgium and go for a drive.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Col:

Canada was founded as a bilingual and bicultural country. By law English and French have equal standing.

French people in Canada have a right to their language and their culture regardless of where they live in Canada. If they are travelling in Mexico (for example) they have no such right and any reasonable person would expect the natives to speak Spanish. The bloodyminded bit may be to pull up at a gas station in the middle of nowhere in France and expect the attendant to speak English.

For a closer example of road signs in two languages, take the ferry to Belgium and go for a drive.

Wales would be easier.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Hmmm, I see he's back again getting to the questions first.

Col
Does it actually matter who answers a question provided the answer is correct?

If you post a question then the sooner you get a correct answer the better

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
It is nice that Canada and Canadians is multicultural now. It is refreshing to be able to go to different areas and learn some of the cultures of persons who have immigrated to our great country.

Col:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Does it actually matter who answers a question provided the answer is correct?

If you post a question then the sooner you get a correct answer the better

One good way of learning about Access is by helping other people out with their problems. Very often you remember the problem or answer and are able to use it yourself.

If Bob answers all the questions (as is his want), nobody else can get a word in, so their learning cycle is somewhat curtailed. The reason being that if you see it's been answered, you either don't bother to read it or just scan it without really taking it in as you would have if you had tried to answer it yourself.

I looked at the new posts page the other day and all were replied to by BobLarson. No other person had bothered to post, surely that has to be excessive?

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col:

I've driven in Belgium and I've never noticed any roadsigns in two languages.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Where's my Taxman cover? :confused:

Working on it. Keep your drawers on. It's not easy you know:)

BTW, bought a Fender Precision bass the other day. Not sure about it, I think I still prefer the Ibanez. Maybe I need to get used to it.

Col

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 10:24
- Deleted by KenHigg -

Last edited:

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
One good way of learning about Access is by helping other people out with their problems. Very often you remember the problem or answer and are able to use it yourself.

If Bob answers all the questions (as is his want), nobody else can get a word in, so their learning cycle is somewhat curtailed. The reason being that if you see it's been answered, you either don't bother to read it or just scan it without really taking it in as you would have if you had tried to answer it yourself.

I looked at the new posts page the other day and all were replied to by BobLarson. No other person had bothered to post, surely that has to be excessive?

Col
I am sure that most people who post a question here are looking for a correct answer. I doubt they are trying to create a training opportunity for some-one else. Even when Bob was away I did not notice you answering any technical queries. Apologies if I missed your contributions.

You do seem to be giving a good impression of someone who has an unhealthy obsession with Bob. Perhaps you should move on.

Pauldohert

Something in here
Local time
Belgium is nearer to Essex than Wales. :)

Thats why I said easier. There is the problem of getting across.

Wales gives Col the example of an immigrant language being used on the roadsigns as well as the local native language, plus he could pop in to see the family on the way through Bristol.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Thats why I said easier. There is the problem of getting across.

Wales gives Col the example of an immigrant language being used on the roadsigns as well as the local native language, plus he could pop in to see the family on the way through Bristol.
Better Chocolate in Belgium though:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom