ShaneMan's daughter (1 Viewer)

Local time
Today, 06:22
ShaneMan is one of our long time members.

His daughter has had cancer for over a year. She has recently had a problem with moving her legs and they found a tumor on her spinal cord and in one of her lungs.

They just finished removing the tumor from the spinal cord about an hour ago. They said they couldn't go after the one in the lung right now.

ShaneMan has been caught up in this for this entire time and has spent the entire day (I imagine 18+ hours, as it's after midnight here), with his family, fretting over this. I can't imagine what he's (they're) going through spiritually, financially, and career wise.

If you believe in God/prayer...pray for Shane, his family, and his daughter's care-givers. If you don't, send good vibes or whatever it is you do to help one of your own who is in need...or tell a friend who does pray.

BarryMK

4 strings are enough
Local time
Today, 12:22
Speaking for the non-religious here, I know we'll all send our thoughts and best wishes to ShaneMan and his family. Speaking as a parent there's nothing harder to bear than the pain of your own child and our sympathy goes out to them all.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Speaking for the non-religious here, I know we'll all send our thoughts and best wishes to ShaneMan and his family. Speaking as a parent there's nothing harder to bear than the pain of your own child and our sympathy goes out to them all.
I am sure all of us, whatever our beliefs or lack of them, will be sending our best wishes to ShaneMan and his fanily that Kate makes a speedy recovery

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:22
I imagine 18+ hours
I can relate maybe like no other, after spending 60+ hours in hospital in 3 days while worrying about my sweet sweet sweet departed sister :eek:

I hope they take care of them selves as she will need them when she pulls thru.

All the best from Amsterdam, tho I am not religious... some positive fibes never hurt.

statsman

Local time
Today, 07:22
I hope Shane's daughter a speedy and complete recovery.

Best wishes from the "Great White North".

rainman89

I cant find the any key..
Local time
Best wishes and get well soon!!!

lmnop7854

Quittin' Time
Local time
I'm sending all my best to ShaneMan and his family, so they can stay strong during this difficult time.

Lisa

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 04:22
We will keep ShaneMan's daughter, family and those close to them in our thoughts and prayers.

I said a prayer for you today
And know God must have heard.
I felt the answer in my heart
Although he spoke no word!

I didn't ask for wealth or fame
I knew you wouldn't mind.
I asked him to send treasures
Of a far more lasting kind!

I asked that he be near you
At the start of each new day;
To grant you health and blessings
And friends to share your way!

I asked for happiness for you
In all things great and small.
But it was for his loving care
I prayed the most of all!

Banana

split with a cherry atop.
Local time
Hoping for the best for ShaneMan and his family.

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Today, 13:22
Best wishes to Shaneman and family and we hope that the surgery will be succesfull and that his daughter will recover.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks to all who have posted. Your thoughts, prayers, words, and concerns are very appreciated. Kate has had a very tough year and there is really no clear ending in sight. This makes her third major surgery in a year. She has a very fast and aggressive type of bone cancer and it originated in a very rare location. Her fifth rib on her left side. The two other surgeries were to completely remove her fourth, fifth and sixth ribs on her left side. The biggest problem we have is this beast keeps growing back and it grows very fast. The tumor she had removed yesterday grew back in less than four months, grew big enough to be as long as three vertebrae and all of this while she was on a huge chemo schedule (chemo treatments every week). She has been unbelievable through all of this. Great attitude, smiles a lot, laughs a lot, and usually picks up the peoples spirits that came to visit and pick up her spirits.

Once again, thanks to all of you,
Shane

Last edited:

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Shane
hope you and Julie managed some sleep. Pleased that George started a new thread I was a bit out of it last night when I posted on the other thread but George did the right thing.

Done some browsing since last night came across something called Cyberknife, wondered if that might have had a relevence for Kate.

Keep strong we are all pulling for you

Brian

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
ShaneMan: As many of you know, I was diagnosed with Leukemia three years ago. Although it is a slow moving form, I still carry it with me every day. I'm just glad I have it, and not one of my children, or grandchildren. I'm sending positive thoughts your way, and to Kate.

ShaneMan

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Shane
hope you and Julie managed some sleep. Pleased that George started a new thread I was a bit out of it last night when I posted on the other thread but George did the right thing.

Done some browsing since last night came across something called Cyberknife, wondered if that might have had a relevence for Kate.

Keep strong we are all pulling for you

Brian

Thanks Brian. You and Ms. Hazel have become good friends. The Cyberknife would certainly have been good from the pain and noninvasive side of things but there is one part of it that is a problem. Kate's type of cancer does not typically respond to radiation, very well. Heck, all it's done to everything else that has been tried is laugh at us. Radiation is still one of the options that the doctors keep in mind for Kate but I think it's an option that they are keeping after they have tried other treatments. We may be looking at radiation soon. This is a research hospital so I believe there is some talk of putting Kate on a research drug that has been showing signs of good success.

Friday, thanks for your words and you hang in there and keep up your fight too. My family has somewhat of a family motto that you can steal from us. "Don't give up! Spit your last bloody tooth at them but don't give up."

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Ha! I like that. You folks hang in there, as well!

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
Sorry to hear that. Wishes for all concerned are on their way.

Local time
Not sure if Shane is checking in but he just left an update (about 2 hours ago):
Hello to all, Thought I would drop a line to get ya'll caught up. Late yesterday afternoon, they moved Kate out of ICU and into her own room. Kate seems to be recovering pretty well. The pain management doctors are very surprised at the amount of pain medication that is left, every time they check on it, which means Kate is not hitting the button very often. They ask if she has any pain and she always tells them "no." I'm pretty sure if it was me they would have had to change the button by now, cause I would have had it wore out. Last night she had a small conversation and managed a few smiles. Right now, she is down having a CT scan done. Tomorrow morning (7:30am) she is scheduled to have a P.E.T. scan and tomorrow night (7pm) she is scheduled for a MRI. My speculation (cause no one has told us yet) is the cancer team is gathering information so they can start their plans for the next attack. This pretty much takes all of you up to the point of knowing what we know. We have pretty much caught up on our sleep. Thanks to all, for your thoughts, prayers, concerns, your words of encouragement, willingness to help, for getting under the load with us and the list goes on an on. I will post after we get more information and will keep all of ya'll posted as good as I can. Shane P.S. Julie got a new cell phone and just now figured out a way to get her voicemail, so for anyone who called her, she isn't ignoring your call she just didn't know how to listen to them. :)

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
our thoughts are with you (Shane) .. wishing a speedy recovery .

regards

MSAccessRookie

AWF VIP
Local time
ShaneMan's Daughter

Thanks for keeping all of us updated, George. I will be keeping ShaneMan and his family in my thoughts.

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Thanks for letting us know. I had no idea what was going on. I know that cancer runs in my family (my Mom's side) and it terrifies me to think about that kind of thing for my daughters. We had 3 family members diagnosed with cancer in January of this year. Two were with colon cancer and have good prognoses. My stepmom, though, has lung cancer and it was at stage 3. She has other problems too, so I worry for her health, and my Dad's. This will be the second time he has dealt with this as my Mom died from lung cancer that spread to her brain 14 years ago. So, it's been a little bit of a rough year for us also, but it sounds like nothing in comparison to what you're going through with your daughter, ShaneMan. I will be praying for you and your family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom