Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 17:59
If Bob answers all the questions (as is his want), nobody else can get a word in, so their learning cycle is somewhat curtailed. The reason being that if you see it's been answered, you either don't bother to read it or just scan it without really taking it in as you would have if you had tried to answer it yourself.
*BARF*

And how many non-watercooler posts have you made the past say 10 years?

*BARF*

And how many of those were not questions of your own ?

*BARF*

And how many of those were not in one way or another hurtfull/insulting/looking down on anyone?

*BARF*

I seem to find plenty of questions that need answering, guess my name should atleast show up too...

Get your head out of the toilet boil, stop beeing a PUKE and get a frigging LIFE.

There you got me to actually respond for once....

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 16:59
*BARF*

And how many non-watercooler posts have you made the past say 10 years?

I have no idea - how many have you made?

And how many of those were not questions of your own ?

I refer you to the answer I gave earlier.

And how many of those were not in one way or another hurtfull/insulting/looking down on anyone?

None in the main forums. Although in the watercooler I understand one or two of my posts have been misinterpreted.

I seem to find plenty of questions that need answering, guess my name should atleast show up too...

Unless it has been superceded by Bob the Wonderful, in which case his would be the last posters name if he was the last poster.

Get your head out of the toilet boil, stop beeing a PUKE and get a frigging LIFE.

How quaint. . . . .I don't really understand it but you are entitled to an opinion, whatever that may be, after all, you are not American living in a dictatorship.

There you got me to actually respond for once....

I'm sure we have spoken before? Didn't we speak about music a while back?

Col

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time
Working on it. Keep your drawers on. It's not easy you know:)

BTW, bought a Fender Precision bass the other day. Not sure about it, I think I still prefer the Ibanez. Maybe I need to get used to it.

Col

I've just started learning the banjo and have rapidly become obsessed with it.

If you're lucky you might get to see some vids if I get past novice rank one. :p

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:59
If you want to play some bluegrass music I will bring along my fiddle...

If you're lucky you might get to see some vids if I get past novice rank one. :p

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time

I was right, couldn't get on with the Fender - swapped it with a mate's Yamaha BB414X, much better and a fab sound, I'll use it on YouTube next time.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
If you want to play some bluegrass music I will bring along my fiddle...

Is that all that "yee-haa" stuff with bales of straw about the place?

It's all a bit American isn't it?

Col

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 11:59

Col

Bluegrass isn't YeeHaw... it may be American though, I'm not a music expert.
The bluegrass I have been exposed to definetly has a "country" feeling but it's better than country.

To me, and again, I'm not an expert, so I'm just talking about my personal experience and exposure, it's... like a cool jam of jazz and blues and tells a story. People take turns with their instrument..... each adding their own style and contribution to the overall story...it's really cool.

I personally couldn't listen to it on a CD, you just have to be there, in person, to get the full effect of a wonderful night of music. It's improvisational. And improvisational music is awesome.

I'm certain that the musician in you can relate.

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Today, 08:59
It is very much like a jam session as you pointed out and is definately best experienced live. The only recordings I enjoy are ones made at venues where I have attended as they bring back the fond memories. It is not like 'pop' music where people on stage are mimmicking bands in a quasi-karaoke way while wishing they had musical talent.

Bluegrass isn't YeeHaw... it may be American though, I'm not a music expert.
The bluegrass I have been exposed to definetly has a "country" feeling but it's better than country.

To me, and again, I'm not an expert, so I'm just talking about my personal experience and exposure, it's... like a cool jam of jazz and blues and tells a story. People take turns with their instrument..... each adding their own style and contribution to the overall story...it's really cool.

I personally couldn't listen to it on a CD, you just have to be there, in person, to get the full effect of a wonderful night of music. It's improvisational. And improvisational music is awesome.

I'm certain that the musician in you can relate.

Friday

Registered User.
Local time
Is that all that "yee-haa" stuff with bales of straw about the place? It's all a bit American isn't it? Col

Although it would be nice to consider bluegrass music an American product, it's roots are actually in Ireland and Scotland, if memory serves me correctly (most times these days it doesn't!). Here is a good article on it.

dan-cat

Registered User.
Local time

Col

Here's a tune you'll recognise that's been covered by Alison Krauss. A very popular bluegrass artist. I'm looking to play that banjo line in say a couple of years. :D

Link

See what you think.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I see you're logged in Bob, can you answer my question please? A PM to me will do if you're embarrassed to reply here.

Thanks

Col

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 11:59
This thread is growing tiresome.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:59
Both bluegrass and Dixieland jazz have this similarity: There is a central theme to the music being played, but all participants are playing almost (but not quite) free-style improvization around that theme. They take turns in presenting either the direct theme or complex variations on that theme.

I say "almost but not quite free-style" because the odds are extremely great that the same group playing the same selection on two consecutive days are unlikely to play it the same way both times. And I'm not talking about little imperfections. I'm talking about different apoggiatura, grace notes, and other musical decorations.

The selection should easily be recognizable on each of the two days, but it won't be quite the same. Compare and contrast to a performance of a philharmonic symphony orchestra. In the latter case, every note must be precisely played as the conductor desires it. In Dixieland or bluegrass, they play by stylistic agreement, not precise note-by-note rehearsals.

Just thought I'd toss in a comment on something I actually understand. I have in the past played Dixieland jazz on Bourbon Street of New Orleans. Did that in my college days before I got an honest job. (Well, at least relatively honest...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom