Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 21:28
I think it's funny when they ask you for directions - like to Bucking-Ham Palace or Lie-Cester Square.

Col

That attitude is normal for the ill mannered southerners who think that anybody who does not speak like them is inferior, but Southern BBC broadcasters talk of one Liverpool suberb as Mag-Hull when we all know its Maghull with a silent h.

Brian

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Today, 16:28
Ha! I wondered that too about Trudy, but it's so rare you see her that you kind of only remember she has blonde hair. Then again, you'd think with all the photos of her he has we'd take note :confused:

I paid close attention and it seemed to me that after they started using "Jan" from The Office as Monk's wife, whom I RECOGNIZED I started looking at the pictures and noticed they too had changed!

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
In films, US tourists always say "Yes Sir, aahm from Texas", or like in the Posiden Adventure the little lad calls everyone "Sir" or "Ma'am".

So it must be true.

Col

Everything I've learned about America is from the movies.
:)

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Obviously Americans need to turn the volume down a bit because they all seem to shout...Col

I don't shout at all. I do know a few people here who do.
The Irishman I met a few weekends ago seemed unusually soft spoken and when I commented on it, his wife about peed her pants in laughter. He seemed shocked to hear it as well. LOL. So, it is possible that I am used to a higher volume in America. Are Irishmen supposedly loud?

I think it's funny when they ask you for directions - like to Bucking-Ham Palace or Lie-Cester Square.
Col

Well, not thinking I will EVER (oops was that a shout? I just capitalized for emphasis. Imagine my tone of voice just spending more time on the word "ever" for emphasis.) EVER get to spend time in England. (Choices made by finances other than desire.) However, if I do, I think I know to say "Bucking-um" instead of "Bucking-Ham". I do not, sadly, know how this square is pronounced. I originally come from Massachusetts, and we have Worchester which is pronounced "Woostah" amoungst natives, and "Worster" from educated out-of-state visitors, but "Wer-chester" by everyone else unfamiliar. So, I'm going to guess it's pronounced "Lester" with a soft "r" by natives. Am I right?

In Sarasota, where I spent much of my teen years, we have a major street name "Bahia Vista". When we first arrived we called it, "Ba-HAY-a Vista" as do tourists to the area. It's actually "Bay-ah Vista". I am certain most people have stories of names of their own native streets, towns and places of interest mutilated by those unfamiliar with the area.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
That attitude is normal for the ill mannered southerners who think that anybody who does not speak like them is inferior,

Southerners are not superior, it's just that Northerners are not so well educated and they have a shorter average lifespan. So naturally they will accept their place and class.

but Southern BBC broadcasters talk of one Liverpool suberb as Mag-Hull when we all know its Maghull with a silent h.

Brian

I would imagine very few people south of Liverpool would have the slightest interest in anything that happens in Liverpool generally let alone in some wierd named suburb.

The only recent Liverpool event of very mild interest to us in the south was the Toxteth riots.

Col

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Southerners are not superior, it's just that Northerners are not so well educated and they have a shorter average lifespan. So naturally they will accept their place and class.

I would imagine very few people south of Liverpool would have the slightest interest in anything that happens in Liverpool generally let alone in some wierd named suburb.

The only recent Liverpool event of very mild interest to us in the south was the Toxteth riots.

Col

Wait... what? There are class wars vover there?
Or... is this just a tongue in cheek thing?

I mean, here in America there are jokes about people in .... where is it normally.... uh.... Kentucky? Alabama? I'm not sure... someplace where the ultra extreme would be marrying your sister... but it's not taken seriously. No one here actually KNOWS anybody who has married their sister. It's just a "backwards county redneck joke." Even we don't take it to heart. Much like, as it has been explained to me previously, that girls from Essex are known to be "of loose morals". I'm certain it's also not taken seriously... it's just a .... a well known joke, right? Not based, necessarily, at least today, in any truth.

Ok... ok... maybe one or two Essex girls have gotten around more than the norm.... I don't know. I'm not there, and there are no movies in America about the Essex girls. :)

Anyway, seriously... this is all good jesting, yeah?
North and South are not truly divided are they?
Where is the line that divides the two?
And, if I ever DO get to Great Britain, where will I be most welcomed?
Bear in mind, please, I do not like stuffy.... and men in powdered wigs are an immediate turnoff to me.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
The North is generally regarded as working class because that's where the industrial heartlands were - car making, steel, mining etc.

The South is regarded as middle class because of the non industrial nature. Stockbrokers, bankers etc.

The South is always the richer areas, the north the poorer, hence outside toilets and tin baths in front of the fire. That's why the foreigners go to the north. You'd be hard pushed to see a coloured person in Colchester.

Essex girls do have loose morals, that is not an exaggeration. Although go to any city on a friday or saturday night and you'll be awash with drunk semi-conscious teenage girls all exposing themselves to anyone who is around.

Col

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
And, if I ever DO get to Great Britain, where will I be most welcomed?
Bear in mind, please, I do not like stuffy.... and men in powdered wigs are an immediate turnoff to me.

My place. :D

statsman

Local time
The North is generally regarded as working class because that's where the industrial heartlands were - car making, steel, mining etc.

The South is regarded as middle class because of the non industrial nature. Stockbrokers, bankers etc.

The South is always the richer areas, the north the poorer, hence outside toilets and tin baths in front of the fire. That's why the foreigners go to the north. You'd be hard pushed to see a coloured person in Colchester.

So, there are no bankers or stockbrokers in Birmingham and there's no industry south of the Thames? I'll grant you I haven't been to England for 10 years, but that's not the way I recall it.
Actually, England is a pretty provincial place in those terms. Most Northerners would rather die than move south and most Southerners would rather be boiled in oil than go north.
One of the reasons for the soccer hoolaganism years back was this built in hostility. The really big punch ups were when Northern and Southern teams were playing each other.

Essex girls do have loose morals, that is not an exaggeration. Although go to any city on a friday or saturday night and you'll be awash with drunk semi-conscious teenage girls all exposing themselves to anyone who is around.

Col

Do they get upset if you take their photos? :D

GaryPanic

Smoke me a Kipper,Skipper
Local time
Today, 13:28
Afraid there is a north/south divide

in the south you had more trade routes to Europe ( Dover being 20 miles wway from france) - however up in the north they did have trade routes as well Liverpool to the US - but that went into decine with air transport Liverpool being on the west side of england (just above Wales if you need to pin point it a bit more) there were/are a few trade routes up in the north on the east side - but the sailing times are a lot longer to Europe from there

The North is a little bit more agressive in its attitude - but the people can also be some of the most compassionate and friendly (once you get past the agreesive overtones)
in the cities as with any cities there are some real rough area's but by and large most places are ok - espeaccially if you go with the flow on the banter (and don't mention football- thats a sure way to start a fight)...

In modern times the north has suffered more from unemployment as the declining manual work (moved to the far east/china) has had a huge impact - the Unions have also been on occassions too militant - and made jobs go elsewhere- - instead of taking a long term approach - the Unions seem to have a bigger hold up north than down south

if you go even furth north you hit scotland - and again you have a divide here - but I think it's more east west rather than north /south - you woudl need a scot to expain it - the best spoken english is done in Edinburgh - the accent is really very soft and easy on the ear - Glasgow on the other hand is a different langauge altgether - really hard dialect...

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I have heard it said that the best english in the world can be spoken in inverness, not edinburgh.
This is a relic of the old days when people in Inverness spoke Gaelic as their first language and English as a formal language taught in Schools. Thesaying referred to their grammatical correctness rather than their accent.
also that the big divide is more to do with religion than where you live.
The religious divide tends to be a big city phenomenon especially in Glasgow. There is still fierce rivalry between Glasgow and Edinburgh

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
I can see its going to take me a bit of time to gt used to this forum. i just deleted my message because i thought i had to edit it to answer you, then realised i was in the wrong thing.

so, the people in Inverness are better at speaking gaelic than the ones in edinburgh.

Kryst51

Singin' in the Hou. Rain
Local time
Today, 15:28
Have any of you ever seen Elizabeth Gaskill's "North & South", I found that to be very interesting, but never thought about that kind of divide still being prevelant

Rich

Registered User.
Local time

Col
More so since the Liver birds finished and even that's not spoken correctly as spelt:eek:

FluffyKitten

Jumble Bunny
Local time
Have you tried it? It's lovely. If you do try it try it with some cat wee soup as a starter, and don't forget to have lashings of larks vomit gravy over the top!

How did you get the cute little face at the end of your post?

statsman

Local time
Have you tried it? It's lovely. If you do try it try it with some cat wee soup as a starter, and don't forget to have lashings of larks vomit gravy over the top!

How did you get the cute little face at the end of your post?

On the quick response window at the bottom of the page, click "Go Advanced".

The smilies at the bottom of the form with the buttons place the face in the message header.
The ones on the right side place them in the message at the cursor.

:(

:confused:

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom