Thread disappeared - no notice 2 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rachelgreen

Local time
Yesterday, 22:13
Just to continue. Wazz has replied a PM to me, I am hoping to find out who deleted my thread with no notice and who deleted my posing with no notice.

I am still awaiting a response from Bob re his comment about saying I have "mental issues" following a comment I made about John Lennon's death.

Nice thread Rich.

Col
why don't ask admin! I think he is the one can do it!

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 06:13
why don't ask admin! I think he is the one can do it!

I now know who did it. That matter is closed now.

Just waiting for Bob to reply to my question. I've asked politely several times here and have sent him 3 PM's but no contact whatsoever.

I think Bob is more interested in getting to the Access questions first as it gives the impression he is so clever.
Sadly, I have heard now from several others here who are upset about his tactics but won't report it because on these forums if you say a word out of line, you get the post deleted or you get banned.

Col

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
Actually a flat head engines refer to the cylinder head of the engine. Before overhead valves were commonly used the heads were basically a flat piece of cast metal with just cooling passages, spark plug hole and the upper part of the combustion chamber milled into it. They were not just a GM thing but for most US manufacturers they were phased out in the mid 1950s except for Nash and Hudson which used the flat heads until 1964 in the American Rambler.

Oushed out of shape refers to the distortion caused to the chassis of a car when it launches in a drag race. The frame twists because of the torque running the length of the vehicle. If you see old pictures of professional drag racers you can see the twisting of the vehicle.

Col is correct. Mill is a slang term for an engine. A flat head mill was a model ofGM engine common in the late 50s and early 60s.

The rubber refers to the remnants of the tires laid on the street when zooming away from a standing start.

Pushed out of shape is term I am not familiar with. Must be one of those California things.

Most of the Beach Boys songs during their "hot rod" period contained a lot of motor slang. The song "Shut You Down" refers to forcing your street racing opponent to blow their engine by exceeding the maximum RPM.

PaulJR

Registered User.
Local time
I think Bob is more interested in getting to the Access questions first as it gives the impression he is so clever.
Col

There are also many others who rapidly respond to questions (such as DCrake for example) - whose help has been invaluable for me, does your post apply to other helpful members too? Just wondered if you could clarify that as your post could be seen as rather offensive.

This has been my primary resource for developing a really useful database from scratch that is now used by about 25 people in my company, has over 30k records, and has improved efficiency and efficacy. If it weren't for these wonderful people spending their own free time helping others I would probably never have even attempted to figure out much of the complexity of Access.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I think my post is clear enough. If the post is viewed as offensive then that is up to the reader. It is merely my observation.

Just wondered if you could clarify that as your post could be seen as rather offensive.

BTW, you should have a comma between the words "that" and "as".

Col

Access Hero

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 00:13
There are also many others who rapidly respond to questions (such as DCrake for example) - whose help has been invaluable for me, does your post apply to other helpful members too? Just wondered if you could clarify that as your post could be seen as rather offensive.

PaulJR, First, thank you for expressing what value you have received from the forum. Your attitude is why many of us come here to help.

Second, you need to realize that people who post in threads like this are frequently being purposefully "offensive" to lure people in to long arguments about trivial stuff. I believe you'll find that many sites call this "trolling" and disallow it. My own personal forum sites (and many others) ban posters for trolling. However, this site allows it in the non-technical forums, or at least the "trolls" who frequent this site have had the decency to keep their trolling out of the technical forums for the most part.

I only mention it because I don't want to see a(nother) decent (dare I say innocent?) person get hurt by the nonsense that goes on in the Water Cooler forum. The stuff in the WC is nothing to take offense at.

Again, thanks for expressing your appreciation for the forums.

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
BTW, you should have a comma between the words "that" and "as".

Col
Not strictly necessary. See Fowlers' "Modern English Usage" for a more authorative explanation of this

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Not strictly necessary. See Fowlers' "Modern English Usage" for a more authorative explanation of this

It's disgusting how the English language has lowered itself into this slovenly usage.

It's the influence of trans Atlantic language deviations that have degraded the Queen's (God bless her) English.
I think it is the end of civilisation as we know it if the English language is allowed to fall into this gutter of slum Yankee bastardisation.

If people can't use English correctly, then they should use another language that suits their common fast-food lifestyle, and not spoil our rich and varied language.

Col

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
PaulJR, First, thank you for expressing what value you have received from the forum. Your attitude is why many of us come here to help.

Second, you need to realize that people who post in threads like this are frequently being purposefully "offensive" to lure people in to long arguments about trivial stuff. I believe you'll find that many sites call this "trolling" and disallow it. My own personal forum sites (and many others) ban posters for trolling. However, this site allows it in the non-technical forums, or at least the "trolls" who frequent this site have had the decency to keep their trolling out of the technical forums for the most part.

I only mention it because I don't want to see a(nother) decent (dare I say innocent?) person get hurt by the nonsense that goes on in the Water Cooler forum. The stuff in the WC is nothing to take offense at.

Again, thanks for expressing your appreciation for the forums.
Well that's odd because those you accuse of being "trolls" have been answering questions on the main boards for years
This isn't an American based forum inspite of the efforts by some to turn it into one:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
This isn't an American based forum inspite of the efforts by some to turn it into one:rolleyes:

It does have the American intolerance for free speech though.
In other words if you say something that the Americans here disagree with, or perhaps say something that would be insensitive in the USA but not in the UK - the chances are it'll be deleted or you end up banned.

Col

Adam Caramon

Local time
Today, 01:13
If people can't use English correctly, then they should use another language that suits their common fast-food lifestyle, and not spoil our rich and varied language.

We do, its called American English.

ColinEssex said:
In other words if you say something that the Americans here disagree with, or perhaps say something that would be insensitive in the USA but not in the UK - the chances are it'll be deleted or you end up banned.

If that were truly the policy I imagine you and a couple of others would have be banned. I've noticed several people take offense to your posts.

statsman

Local time
If that were truly the policy I imagine you and a couple of others would have be banned. I've noticed several people take offense to your posts.

Perhaps we should institute some voluntary standards for communicating in the Watercooler.
Let's start with good manners.
They're pretty much the same on both sides of the pond.
From there we could continue to such things as no name calling and composing your post so that it makes your point and gets people thinking without making anyone upset.

Rich

Registered User.
Local time
Perhaps we should institute some voluntary standards for communicating in the Watercooler.
From there we could continue to such things as no name calling and composing your post so that it makes your point and gets people thinking without making anyone upset.
Would that include the foul language and insults hurled at us by Americans especially when we pointed out the lies surrounding Bush, seems that only Republicans are to be allowed to post, bit like the US itself eh:rolleyes:

Fifty2One

Legend in my own mind
Local time
If some people want to prove their ignorant arrogance over and over again why not just let them do it. It is good for a laugh most of the time though it does tend to become annoying on some occasions.

puzzled

Access VUP
Local time
If some people want to prove their ignorant arrogance over and over again why not just let them do it. It is good for a laugh most of the time though it does tend to become annoying on some occasions.
Yes and they're called Republicans:rolleyes:

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
If some people want to prove their ignorant arrogance over and over again why not just let them do it.

I wouldn't say anyone here is ignorant. But then again, I'm an American and therefore must have extremely low standards.

It's either that or, what is that saying? "If you look around and can't spot the fool in the room..."

;)

Originally Posted by Rich
This isn't an American based forum inspite of the efforts by some to turn it into one

In America, we use two separate words, in and spite. If it is the same across the pond, then Col, why did you not point this out to him as a friend? I'm certain you do not wish him to become a slovenly user of the language!

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Inspite is a word similar in meaning to "not withstanding"

I ignore Rich and Col's efforts to poke fun at others' use of English, now where should that ' be. :confused:

Brian

TessB

Plays well with others
Local time
Inspite is a word similar in meaning to "not withstanding"

I ignore Rich and Col's efforts to poke fun at others' use of English, now where should that ' be. :confused:

Brian

I see. Thank you. How is that different from despite?

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Hi Tess I was just about to write a correction as all info I can find gives 2 words, and when I write it free hand I write in spite of

In spite of = despite.

sorry for the missinfo.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom